Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1
techguy40
macrumors regular

What the best tag software for Movies?

What software for the mac you recommend to tag for movies that you backup with handbrake so they show up nicely on your new apple tv with information and movie cover?

Thanks
techguy40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2
wrkngclasshero
macrumors regular

Assuming you mean for OSX... I like MetaX or Subler.

I use MetaX for TV shows (you can tag batches)
I use Subler (more tagging options including HD tags and editing CnID.

I bet you will hear these two names a lot.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3
pedz
macrumors regular

MetaX is also available on window. I just started using it and love it. It does support HD tags and templates, searches, ... Before this i was using the atomicparsley command line, so this was a huge leap forward for me.
pedz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:42 PM   #4
egorka
macrumors newbie

MetaX is also ported to windows.

Make sure to encode in Apple TV Legacy or else MetaX won't tag it.. Not sure about the other packages.
egorka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:48 PM   #5
wrkngclasshero
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedz View Post
MetaX is also available on window. I just started using it and love it. It does support HD tags and templates, searches, ... Before this i was using the atomicparsley command line, so this was a huge leap forward for me.
Windows Metax does support HD tagging, however Mac does not. OP what are you running?

Also, if you are running a Mac, Subler is developed by one of the HB dev team members, if that is of any consequence to you.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
BlackMangoTree
macrumors 6502a

MetaX you serious ? it's mega poor app hasn't been updated in years.

Check out iDentify, iFlicks or MetaZ all blow away MetaX
BlackMangoTree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:52 PM   #7
OptyCT
macrumors 6502

I use Subler. Yeah, there's no documentation, but if you play around with it, it's very easy to use. Here are the basics:

1.) Rip a movie
2.) Launch Subler (you'll see the Subler icon in the dock)
3.) Open Finder and locate the movie file you want to tag
4.) Drag the movie file to the Subler icon on the dock - Subler will open
5.) Click on the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner
6.) Type in the movie name that you're looking to tag - hit enter
7.) Select the tag file you want to use - hit the "Add" button
8.) Clicking any blank line under "Chapter Track", etc., will show you the "Metadata", "Artwork", and "Other Settings" buttons.
9.) All of this info can be manually edited by double-clicking the field
10.) To change the artwork, double-click the artwork field, and hit "delete" to clear the field. You can then find artwork online (I prefer themoviedb.org), copy the image, and paste it into Subler's artwork field using "Command-V"
11.) Note: for those who intend on putting their movies on the iPad, check the "Create Preview Images" box under Subler's preferences. This will create those chapter preview images that you see for iPad videos
12.) Once all of the tagging information is to your liking, select "File-Save"
13.) Important: after you save it, select "File-Optimize" to finish the tagging operation
14.) Your file is now tagged. Enjoy!
OptyCT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:55 PM   #8
newagemac
macrumors 68000

From what I understand MetaX is not being actively supported on the Mac. Not sure about the Windows version. If it only works with Legacy Apple TV encodes that tells you something right there. Handbrake deprecated that quite a while ago.

iFlicks looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:03 PM   #9
BlackMangoTree
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
iFlicks looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?
It's the app of my choice, it's by far the best tagger around and it integrates with iTunes perfectly. Has every single feature you could ask for.

Not free but worth every cent.

Looking for something free the iDentify is excellent.
BlackMangoTree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:05 PM   #10
liquidsuns
macrumors 6502

I used to use MetaX but stopped for some reason that I can't remember. I've since been using Subler, which did something that MetaX didn't do, but I can't remember what. But the last couple days I've been using iDentify 2.0 and I think I like it better except it doesn't add thumbnail pics to chapter markers like Subler. However iDentify does auto title chapters, which Subler doesn't do. So....I guess I'll use them both.
liquidsuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:16 PM   #11
pedz
macrumors regular

Was not aware MetaX was not supported, will have to look at that. I understand most people on this thread are using mac, but any other recommendations for the PC? The others listed appear to be mac only.

Thanks,
Peter
pedz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:25 PM   #12
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMangoTree View Post
It's the app of my choice, it's by far the best tagger around and it integrates with iTunes perfectly. Has every single feature you could ask for.

Not free but worth every cent.

Looking for something free the iDentify is excellent.
Ok I think I might try it. Have you used it with EyeTV by any chance? If so, what is your workflow like?
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:31 PM   #13
ojk7
macrumors newbie

I would definitely invest in iFlicks it is regularly updated and I have had far fewer issues with it than MetaX, it's well worth the cost if you regularly encode movies or tv shows.
ojk7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:56 PM   #14
mcdermd
macrumors regular

I use Subler and iFlicks. Both are great apps.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojk7 View Post
I would definitely invest in iFlicks it is regularly updated and I have had far fewer issues with it than MetaX, it's well worth the cost if you regularly encode movies or tv shows.
I use to use MetaX which had replaced Lostify, and have been using iFlicks at around a year now. Great product, does more then just metadata, though I only use that feature. Extremely well supported. The developer is very responsive on email.

Cant recommend it enough.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:29 PM   #16
guywoodman7
macrumors member

So I have a pretty large library of movies. All dvd rips and encoded to ATV friendly mp4s.

Can any of the apps were talking about in this thread batch tag already encodes mp4s?

I'm just trying to avoid having to tag every movie, one by one.
guywoodman7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 06:42 PM   #17
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMangoTree View Post
MetaX you serious ? it's mega poor app hasn't been updated in years.

Check out iDentify, iFlicks or MetaZ all blow away MetaX
MetaX has been routinely updated for Windows. That's what I always use, have never had a problem with it either. Works great for me.
GermanSuplex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:01 PM   #18
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

I will throw out a yes vote for Identify2, that is what i use and so far i like it a lot.

Last edited by From A Buick 8; Oct 7, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:09 PM   #19
pasipple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywoodman7 View Post
So I have a pretty large library of movies. All dvd rips and encoded to ATV friendly mp4s.

Can any of the apps were talking about in this thread batch tag already encodes mp4s?

I'm just trying to avoid having to tag every movie, one by one.
I just bought iFlicks and it works very well for tagging. I pointed the program at a folder of about 35 recent movies and it had no problem tagging all at once. I then imported the movies into iTunes.

Took me while to figure out how to do it because I don't see any real online manual...but it worked so much better than MetaX.
AppleTV3 v5.1
pasipple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:59 PM   #20
techguy40
macrumors regular

Does iFlicks work well with the New Apple TV? Does it do a better job than handbrake when converting?
techguy40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

i've used metax for my 1000+ movies and tv shows. it has never failed me. some of these other options look worthy of consideration though.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:57 PM   #22
michial
macrumors regular

Sorry for my newbness but what is tagging? I just converted over from windows as a new mac user. I have 3 tb of movies and asst video files most of which are avi,xvid,divx,etc and dont work in my itunes. I just got the new apple tv and would love to convert them, or is tagging them another way without converting?
michial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:01 PM   #23
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by michial View Post
Sorry for my newbness but what is tagging? I just converted over from windows as a new mac user. I have 3 tb of movies and asst video files most of which are avi,xvid,divx,etc and dont work in my itunes. I just got the new apple tv and would love to convert them, or is tagging them another way without converting?
Tagging means embedding metadata into your files. That is, information other than audio/visual information pertaining to the video. For instance, an mp3... the artist, album title, album artwork, year of release, lyrics, etc. is tagging. It's the digital equivalent of artwork on a DVD case.

I strongly suggest using mp4 video as your format of choice since it can hold the tags within the files. If I delete a video from iTunes and add it back, all the album art, chapter marks, director, actor, producer info is still in the file, I don't have to re-add it.

You may lose a tad of quality, but odds are that with those types of files they're not that great of quality to start with. I don't think you'll lose that much quality in the long run and you'll have the benefit of being able to add them to iTunes, iPods, Apple TV, etc.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:13 PM   #24
michial
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSuplex View Post
Tagging means embedding metadata into your files. That is, information other than audio/visual information pertaining to the video. For instance, an mp3... the artist, album title, album artwork, year of release, lyrics, etc. is tagging. It's the digital equivalent of artwork on a DVD case.

I strongly suggest using mp4 video as your format of choice since it can hold the tags within the files. If I delete a video from iTunes and add it back, all the album art, chapter marks, director, actor, producer info is still in the file, I don't have to re-add it.

You may lose a tad of quality, but odds are that with those types of files they're not that great of quality to start with. I don't think you'll lose that much quality in the long run and you'll have the benefit of being able to add them to iTunes, iPods, Apple TV, etc.
Thanks. So which one should I get? And by tagging them do I have to convert the file type to or does it do that for me when its tagged. Thanks
michial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:40 PM   #25
GermanSuplex
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the avi files can hold tags that can be read by several programs. Plus, iTunes doesn't have built-in support for such files... my suggestion is to either convert them all to mp4 with Handbrake (you can put all your avi files in a folder, then use Handbrake to queue them all up to convert while you are asleep, at work, etc.), then use MetaX along with iTunes to tag them.

If you don't want to convert them, then I'd use a catalog program that can sort and name your files in a nice interface.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater