Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is scheduled to announce earnings results for its just-ended fourth fiscal quarter of 2010 on October 18th, and one of the big questions is just how many iPhones the company was able to sell during the three-month period. Apple's highest quarterly iPhone sales to-date came in the quarter ending in March of this year, with 8.8 million iPhones sold. The company's iPhone sales dipped slightly to 8.4 million in the June quarter as a successful iPhone 4 launch in the waning days of the quarter wasn't quite able to offset lagging sales over the majority of the quarter as customers held back in anticipation of the new version.

133019-iphone_unit_sales_thru_4q10.jpg

Fortune takes a look at what Wall Street analysts are thinking as far as iPhone sales for the September quarter, finding a broad range of estimates as supply shortages have led to some uncertainty over just how many iPhones Apple has been able to get out to its customers. Analysts are predicting, however, that Apple will see a record-setting quarter for iPhone sales, with estimates ranging from a low of 10 million to a high of over 13 million. The estimates represent anywhere from 35% to 80% year-over-year growth compared to the 7.4 million iPhones sold in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2009.
Of all its products, none is more important to Apple's bottom line than its smartphone, which generated $5.4 billion in fiscal Q3 -- 40% of the company's total revenue. The iPhone 4, launched three days before the end of that quarter, has been in short supply ever since, making it trickier than usual for analysts trying to estimate sales in advance of Apple's quarterly earnings report.
Averaging analysts' estimates to arrive at a consensus number for the quarter, Apple may be looking at approximately 11.8 million iPhones sold, an increase of 60% year-over-year.

Fortune conducted a similar analysis of iPad sales estimates earlier this week, placing consensus estimates at about 5 million for the quarter, on top of the 3.27 million iPads sold in the launch quarter earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple Set to Announce Blockbuster Quarterly iPhone Sales?

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
The 3Q figure will rewrite the balance between iPhone and Android based phones.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
The 3Q figure will rewrite the balance between iPhone and Android based phones.

Yes, it will help people realize that despite all the success Android is having, the iPhone is having parallel success. Both are doing well.

And then in 2011 when the iPhone is available on another carrier than AT&T in the U.S., and the U.S. market share starts to double . . .

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Good for them, when they get on another carrier they will improve numbers. I also expect to then start seeing BOGO for Iphones just like Android and BB.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
At this point, calling the iPhone a 'phone' is a misnomer. The device is so much more than a phone and people are buying it for so many different reasons. Yes, the iPod touch accomplishes the same but without phone functionality, but the integration/convergence of the iPhone is undeniable. It's a runaway hit and I wouldn't be surprised to see some ridiculous numbers announced come Oct 18.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
The device is so much more than a phone and people are buying it for so many different reasons. Yes, the iPod touch accomplishes the same but without phone functionality, but the integration/convergence of the iPhone is undeniable.

On the flip-side when folks compare Android against iPhone unit volumes they forget to add in iPad and iPod Touch. If compare Android and iOS market shares you find that Apple is doing well in comparison to Android and those two are doing very well compared to most other mobile OS vendors.

This is important from the point of view of a third party developer.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
On the flip-side when folks compare Android against iPhone unit volumes they forget to add in iPad and iPod Touch. If compare Android and iOS market shares you find that Apple is doing well in comparison to Android and those two are doing very well compared to most other mobile OS vendors.

Good point. Most surveys push whatever perspective makes their point, but the number of iOS devices out there is massive.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
you mean that phone with all of those massive signal issues sold well?

I think its safe to say that "antennagate" was blown way out of proportion by people who like seeing apple come up just a little short. Too bad (for them) its hands down the best phone on the market. When it goes to VZ and T-MO its pretty much game over. Who in their right mind would pick a droid x over an iphone if they had such a choice?

I adopted the iPhone4 at launch and haven't looked back.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Cha-ching! Can't wait for the stock price bump!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

tempusfugit said:
Who in their right mind would pick a droid x over an iphone if they had such a choice?

My wife got a droid x on launch day (she\'s on verizon for work), and sent it back a week later. She\'s like \"this is supposed to be as good as the iPhone? It\'s NOTHING like yours!\"

csouv

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
Excellent point

I say this all the time. How can you compare Iphone to Android it should be iOS to Android and Iphone to specific models of the Droid or Blackberry etc. But we know, there are a whole lot of folks who just don't want to see the real numbers. It would just break their hearts.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
I say this all the time. How can you compare Iphone to Android it should be iOS to Android and Iphone to specific models of the Droid or Blackberry etc. But we know, there are a whole lot of folks who just don't want to see the real numbers. It would just break their hearts.

well it should be compared like this

Android Adoption (multiple devices) vs iOS Adoption (Multiple devices) sales

HTC Android phone sales vs iPhone Sales
Motorola Android phone sales vs iPhone

the reason why i say this is becuase the iphone comes in diffrent form factors, 32 and 16gb
motorola and HTC have the same thing but just more options, KB, screen size, and memory options etc

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

the reason why i say this is becuase the iphone comes in diffrent form factors, 32 and 16gb
motorola and HTC have the same thing but just more options, KB, screen size, and memory options etc

I wouldn't say that the storage is a different form factor since you can get a Droid in 16GB or 32GB (if you buy the memory card) but as iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS as different form factors.

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009

Comparing unit sales seems kinda pointless to me. Android will be on more handsets, this is quite evident and obvious given the number of manufacturers and carriers involved. And the disparity in units shipped will continue to favor Android, but the majority of devices will be glorified messaging or featurephones. A messaging phone, without a data plan and apps, running a smartphone OS, is not a smartphone. A better measurement would be mobile browsing, perhaps ad impressions (depending on the metrics and the networks), and app utilization.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

My wife got a droid x on launch day (she\'s on verizon for work), and sent it back a week later. She\'s like \"this is supposed to be as good as the iPhone? It\'s NOTHING like yours!\"

Words to cherish from one's wife. Most guys are not lucky enough to hear that.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I read the title as "Apple set to announce Blockbuster® Quality iPhone Sales" and assumed that meant they were going to file for bankruptcy soon. :p

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Yes, it will help people realize that despite all the success Android is having, the iPhone is having parallel success. Both are doing well.

Yesterday HTC announced their 3rd quarter profit doubled that from the same quarter from last year. Both Apple and HTC is doing very well because they pump out high quality and attractive phones. The same can't be said for Nokia or RIM. ;)

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Yesterday HTC announced their 3rd quarter profit doubled that from the same quarter from last year. Both Apple and HTC is doing very well because they pump out high quality and attractive phones. The same can't said for Nokia or RIM. ;)

i agree, both apple and HTC have crazy sales, in canada telus has been sold out of the HTC Desire twice (sounds just like the iphone, cant keep it in stock)

Nokia needs to stop dicking around with Symbian and come out with phones that dont have retarded form factors, just look at this dumb phone, you have to SLIDE it open to make a call, then slide it closed again, how STUPID is that?

Nokia-6790-Surge-2.jpg

Rim needs to make their phones more open, currently you need a "special" data plan and a BES server to get exchange sync/push mail functionality

the iphone/android/all WM phones just need a regular data plan to connect with no special server clusters

MikeWong

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Boulder, CO
iPhone vs Android

The iPhone and the Android are both good phones. The iPhone is way better than ANY Android phone -- both in software and hardware. But the Android is more open like Windows was -- it has more hardware platforms, more carriers, more open (less restrictive) to App developers. That is why Android is succeeding.

Apple knows it needs to be on VZ to nip Android in the bud. But the 5 year exclusivity contract it signed with AT&T prevents them from courting other carriers. AT&T knows the only reason they are doing so well is bc of that exclusivity. There is NO WAY and NO AMOUNT OF MONEY that AT&T will let Apple of that hook until the contract expires in 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.