Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
I am getting popups messages from the Skype app stating that network speed is low and am experiencing issues where I can hear the other party clearly but they cannot hear me clearly with my voice cutting out.

I have this issue with Skype - Skype and Skype - landline numbers.

At first I thought it was related to the poor 3G performance as per my other thread (which is now ok) but I am getting this issue when connected via Wifi with speeds of 29Mbps so I don't think its a bandwidth issue.

I thought that it might be related to the proximity sensor issue but voice calls work flawlessly.

Is there a problem with the current version of Skype or is it some hardware problem /related to the antenna issue (I have a case fitted)?

Anyone else getting this issue?

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
You quote a good download speed, far far in excess of what's necessary for a quality Skype call, but what's your upload speed like?. I assume with that download your provider gives a good upload speed too, but it's worth checking.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Upload: 4.59 Mbps over wifi and 0.27 Mbps (lowest 0.18) over 3G. Is this the problem? Thanks.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Upload: 4.59 Mbps over wifi and 0.27 Mbps (lowest 0.18) over 3G. Is this the problem? Thanks.

No, those speeds are perfectly ok for voice Skype calls. I used to use a dial-up modem ! (on pc) yonks ago. Your problem is somewhere else. As far as problems with Skype, I use the current version with my iPhone with no problems.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks badfoot. Do you have a iPhone 4 or 3G? Also are you making calls from Skype to landline /mobile numbers and not just Skype - Skype?

I have read similar issues on the Skype forums. Works perfectly on 3GS but not on iPhone 4. I have also emailed Skype support.

I need to do some more testing with this.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Below is the bog standard template response from Skype. I even told them on the first line of my communication that I was running versions 4.1 IOS and 2.1 Skype:

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with Skype.
Please note that Apple and Skype have lately released new versions (4.1 and 2.1 respectively) of their software.

Please upgrade the iPhone and Skype as both new versions solve many issues.

If you already have updated to these versions, please reinstall the Skype app.

Please also make sure to be connected to a WiFi/mobile connection with a strong signal, and also
try at least two more alternative WiFis.

Also try to connect to Skype when you are on GSM/3G.

Please note that jailbroken devices are not supported by Skype.

Please also note that Skype does not support VPN connections.

If these suggestions should not solve the problem please contact us again.

If you should have any more questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest regards,

Joerg

Skype Customer Support

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
I have done some more testing on this issue:

1. Skype to Skype calls is perfect over 3G and wifi
2. Skype to landline /mobile phones (plus Skype IN) "breaks up" over 3G and wifi. I also get the "low /average speed" popup messages
3. Skype to landline /mobile phones (plus Skype IN) is perfect using my hardwired desktop PC and wireless laptop when connected to the same router

The problem is with the iPhone when calling Skype to telephone numbers.

Skype have just sent me another communication asking me to uninstall and re-install Skype. Not to my surprise, this has had no effect.

I think the issue lies with Skype as it works great with Skype to Skype calling both over 3G and wireless. However when I call "real" phone numbers, this is where I run into issues.

Anyone else had this issue?

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Scrap the above:

1. QoS is terrible over my wifi connection with iPhone 4 - still getting low bandwidth messages. However it is perfect with wireless laptop connected to same router (even with video).

2. 3G has better voice quality than wifi with my iphone 4

3. If both parties are on 3G or wifi then call quality suffers at both ends.

Really confused with this. Wireless laptop and hardwired desktop work perfectly when calling skype contacts or phone numbers.

iPhone 4 suffers when connected via my wifi or when calling non skype contacts.

mpossoff: Thanks for your feedback.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I made a couple of skype calls today on wifi to landlines. I happened to have great call quality. I was getting a very good wifi connection. This was in my house.

When I'm at work(I work at a college), I'll have full bars on wifi but when I go to make a skype call the bars drop and call quality isn't good.

So it seems so far on wifi with full bars calling is good.

Marc

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks Marc. Is your home router set to B/G or N? I have found that when I set my router to B/G or G (instead of N), I get faster PINGS when carrying out speed tests.

Skype works great on my PC's but not on iPhone 4. I have loaded up TruPhone and made an error free call to landline last night. This might have been coincidence but I think that problem is with Skype for iPhone 4. I am going to do a restore.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Thanks badfoot. Do you have a iPhone 4 or 3G? Also are you making calls from Skype to landline /mobile numbers and not just Skype - Skype?

I have read similar issues on the Skype forums. Works perfectly on 3GS but not on iPhone 4. I have also emailed Skype support.

I need to do some more testing with this.

Mine is a 3GS, and all my calls are skype - Skype.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Thanks Marc. Is your home router set to B/G or N? I have found that when I set my router to B/G or G (instead of N), I get faster PINGS when carrying out speed tests.

Skype works great on my PC's but not on iPhone 4. I have loaded up TruPhone and made an error free call to landline last night. This might have been coincidence but I think that problem is with Skype for iPhone 4. I am going to do a restore.

Honestly I don't know what it's set to. I do know that with full wifi bars at home making and receiving skype calls to any number is great.

I wonder why when I'm at work at the college I'll have full bars but when making a skype call the bars drop resulting in a warning that call quality might not be good cause of network speed.

Marc

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks both for your input. Been testing this alot over weekend. Router issue is sorted as the iPhone communicates better with it when set to G. Therefore wi-fi skype calls are now fine. I have called a few landline numbers via wifi and they sound great and also called 2 x 30 min international landline numbers on 3G while I was on the move and the voice was perfect at both ends.

I think the call degrades when I call international mobiles while on 3G or when the other party is also on 3G or using wifi so I can live with that. Skype to Skype is now good and also Skype to landline and I am therefore happy.

LMD75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Skype have just released version 2.1.2 (220) for iPhone.

Every time I called my brother on his international mobile (both have full signal) via iPhone 3G or wi-fi, he could not hear a thing I was saying. There were no issues when I was using my wired desktop PC or wireless laptop.

I no longer get this issue and it appears to be fixed with the update.

I now also get perfect conversations with 3G - 3G :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.