Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Oct 7, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1
jc002
macrumors newbie

Spyder 3 Elite Calibration

Hey guys,

Just bought a Spyder 3 Elite for my 13" Macbook. First of all, I'm aware that a laptop is not ideal for photo editing. However, as I only share photos across the web at this point, I'm content enough with that setup. I'll buy a proper monitor when I get more serious.

Anyway, I know my new calibration is "correct", and will be very handy for printing. Problem is, my old default Mac calibration of 2.2 gamma / D65 seems to be better for the web. What I mean is, even though I know the Spyder is technically correct, my images are more closely matched on other monitors after calibration through my OLD settings - compared to that of the the new Spyder (I noticed the Spyder calibration was darker than nearly all displays I've seen) Makes sense after reading that most monitors out there are calibrated too brightly. Therefor, if I'm only interested in casually posting photos, would it make more sense to post process through my old default mac settings?

As mentioned, considering most monitors out there are uncalibrated (more importantly, too bright), for the sake of getting as much consistency across the web as possible, I'm considering just sticking to what I had. That said, I will of course use the Spyder when I'm going to print. For what I'm doing now though, I'd love to use the Sypder's colors, but retain my old Mac 2.2/gamma/luminance settings. Highly doubt that's possible...

What do you guys think? Appreciate the help.
jc002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Ruahrc
macrumors 65816

Not familiar with the Spyder software, but I am not sure I understand the problem you're having? Can you not use the spyder to calibrate your display using D65 and gamma 2.2?

Regarding using the old profile, I think it's better to stick with the calibrated profile. You can't predict what others' uncalibrated displays look like, and trying to use your uncalibrated display to match their uncalibrated display is like the blind leading the blind. You're better off going off of a repeatable standard, and letting those who do have calibrated displays enjoy the same experience. The only way to have any kind of consistency is to stick to a standard- here, calibration.
Ruahrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography