Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 7, 2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Number6
macrumors member

Does the new Apple TV check ip addresses for TV rentals?

Just got my new Apple TV today and set it up as the old one by using my US account (I am located in Germany). Generally I'm very satisfied with the speed and quality of streaming and the fast response times of the menu. However when I wanted to check out the TV rentals there were only previews available!
I could not find a single rental and that makes me wonder if the new Apple TV checks for my ip address. Movie rentals work, although I was surprised to find a Top Sales section in the menus section of this rental only device! Anyone from around the world with an US account having the same experience? I am slightly disappointed and thinking about getting a really fast VPN (which might help with Netflix as well...).
Number6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
Just got my new Apple TV today and set it up as the old one by using my US account (I am located in Germany). Generally I'm very satisfied with the speed and quality of streaming and the fast response times of the menu. However when I wanted to check out the TV rentals there were only previews available!
I could not find a single rental and that makes me wonder if the new Apple TV checks for my ip address. Movie rentals work, although I was surprised to find a Top Sales section in the menus section of this rental only device! Anyone from around the world with an US account having the same experience? I am slightly disappointed and thinking about getting a really fast VPN (which might help with Netflix as well...).
I'm in Canada and I can rent TV shows with my US account.
benoitgphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Number6
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitgphoto View Post
I'm in Canada and I can rent TV shows with my US account.
Okay, that's encouraging. Maybe it's only a problem with my setup? Still I would love to hear from other users (UK anyone?) if they can rent TV shows with a foreign ip address...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
peterjcat
macrumors 6502

Make sure you've selected "United States" in the Apple TV menu, as well as logging in to your US account -- you could also make sure you're logged into the US account in iTunes on the computer, and have Home Sharing set up using that account, and be logged into Home Sharing on the same account on the Apple TV!

I haven't rented anything but the rental button is clearly there, not just previews, so I'm assuming it'll work. (In the UK.)
peterjcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Number6
macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I am all US on all my Macs and both of my Apple TVs and the store works for movies. Why does it block from renting TV shows? Ironically I could download the free 'Lie to me' episode on my Mac and stream it to the Apple TV
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:12 AM   #6
trance2
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to trance2 Send a message via MSN to trance2 Send a message via Skype™ to trance2
Now, the next hurdle is to get Netflix to allow us to watch content outside the US. I am currently stationed abroad and I have a Netflix account in which I receive my DVDs via the APO/DPO system.

Last night I fired up my brand new Apple TV 2 and tried to view a movie on Netflix and got the error message of "This content is not available for your location". I feel that Netflix needs to follow the Apple model of if your billing address is a US based one then by all means welcome.

This content management model frustrates me to no end, the Internet is global network. For the time being I have to VPN (read, huge network performance hit) to the US in order to watch content on Hulu.com and Netflix.com.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater