Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I am planning on buying a set of speakers to go w/ my ps3 that I am moving to my bedroom soon from my living room. I can't be bothered with 5.1 as there is no space for all those speakers and my room is messy with cables and such as it is. I am debating on whether to get the AV40 or the promedia. the AV40 seems to get rave reviews and the Klipsch the same. The only thing i am worried about if i get the AV40 is that my games and movies just won't have the kind of "impact" a 2.1 would have. also, i think the bas might be lacking as the AV40 is a set of monitors and their freq. response might be too flat for me. If there are any other sets that are recommended, don't hesitate to post those as well. I am after good sound quality but also want some impact with my games and my movies and such.

-wywern209:apple:

EDIT: oh yeah. price range, up to 170. i am willing to go to 200 if it is something really amazing but i would prefer to keep it to 170 if possible.

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
Check out the speakers from Swan. They make some great stuff. I have the D1080Mk II's and they sound phenomenal. A lot of people around the forums have them and they have great reviews. They're a 2.1 set and are well-within your budget.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I have heard about that set. I checked the site but it said nothing about the inputs it accepts. Can anyone elaborate on this? RCA? 3.5mm?
Reviews that I read also recommended it for music but not for games. I know that these speakers are very good but I need something more movie/ media oriented. so far, the klipsch looks the best for movies/ games. any other contenders?

Mike P.

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
I have a pair of M-Audio AV40's connected to my pc. They produce really nice sound but lack in bass. But then again, thats not their speciality. They perform well for my music as well as a couple computer games (L4D2 & Mafia 2). I can say the same for movies. Everything from blurays to Netflix sound good for me. The volume can be set fairly high if needed. And there is a bass boost switch in the back that adds a little extra "thump", but I found that having the volume turned up higher with this feature off produces better quality sound.
I have a ps3 as well but im not quite sure how you would hook any speakers up to it if not using the optical out cable. I can't say anything about the Klipsch speakers but 200 watts of power does sound pretty nice.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I have a pair of M-Audio AV40's connected to my pc. They produce really nice sound but lack in bass. But then again, thats not their speciality. They perform well for my music as well as a couple computer games (L4D2 & Mafia 2). I can say the same for movies. Everything from blurays to Netflix sound good for me. The volume can be set fairly high if needed. And there is a bass boost switch in the back that adds a little extra "thump", but I found that having the volume turned up higher with this feature off produces better quality sound.
I have a ps3 as well but im not quite sure how you would hook any speakers up to it if not using the optical out cable. I can't say anything about the Klipsch speakers but 200 watts of power does sound pretty nice.

you can use the SCART to composite cables and use the red and white to get 2 channel sound. the cable is included with the ps3. anyways, i did some more research and turns out that while the sub is good at reproducing blasts and such, it can't go low in music without getting muddy. any other sets out there?

EDIT: sigh... It seems that every set i find seems to have one flaw or another. the Altecs( all of them) seem to hiss. the Pro media seems to have a sub that can't go very low too well and has questionable durability. The logitechs only get decent when you get to 5.1 sets. i might just have to suck it up and get the pro media or flip a coin. Keep the suggestions coming.

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
Alternately, you could save for another month to increase your budget to around $300-$400.00...this would bring you well within budget floorstanding range. These are generally (but not always) going to sound much "bigger" than bookshelf speakers and/or 2.1 sets. You can pick up a pair of Polk floorstanders for under $200 that give pretty nice sound and clarity. They sound nice for movies and gaming as well.

Unless you're hooked on buying new, check Craigslist and Ebay for some sets - you should be able to find some great deals.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...Black Friday is 49 days away. You could just wait and score some REALLY good deals. :D

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Alternately, you could save for another month to increase your budget to around $300-$400.00...this would bring you well within budget floorstanding range. These are generally (but not always) going to sound much "bigger" than bookshelf speakers and/or 2.1 sets. You can pick up a pair of Polk floorstanders for under $200 that give pretty nice sound and clarity. They sound nice for movies and gaming as well.

Unless you're hooked on buying new, check Craigslist and Ebay for some sets - you should be able to find some great deals.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...Black Friday is 49 days away. You could just wait and score some REALLY good deals. :D

I have made a plan. I am going to get a nice receiver, hook up a pair of Polk Audio monitor 50s and a PSW10 sub. I am also going to place a center channel CS10 for center channel sounds when hooked up to my ps3. I don't care about the rear speakers right now( i might get a second pair of monitor 50s for the rear if i decide they are needed.) As for the receiver, i ma going to geta decent but inexpensive onkyo TX-SR308. To do this, i am gonna have to save up for a couple of months tho. the bill comes to almost 600 on amazon. I plan to get a 3.5mm to RCA cable so that i cna send the PC's audio to the receiver as well. How does that plan sound? One last thing. I plan to take this set up with me to college minus my desktop computer. the computer will be replaced by a macbook(pro). How would this fit in the average dorm room. Okay or not recommended? I would really be sad if i had to leave such a nice set up at home.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am currently using the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s that my brother bought all the way back in 2001. They are still awesome. I would go after those... the sound, bass, everything is top notch.

The only problem that people seem to have with them is the power button is on the subwoofer and they aren't the fanciest looking.

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
I have made a plan. I am going to get a nice receiver, hook up a pair of Polk Audio monitor 50s and a PSW10 sub. I am also going to place a center channel CS10 for center channel sounds when hooked up to my ps3. I don't care about the rear speakers right now( i might get a second pair of monitor 50s for the rear if i decide they are needed.) As for the receiver, i ma going to geta decent but inexpensive onkyo TX-SR308. To do this, i am gonna have to save up for a couple of months tho. the bill comes to almost 600 on amazon. I plan to get a 3.5mm to RCA cable so that i cna send the PC's audio to the receiver as well. How does that plan sound? One last thing. I plan to take this set up with me to college minus my desktop computer. the computer will be replaced by a macbook(pro). How would this fit in the average dorm room. Okay or not recommended? I would really be sad if i had to leave such a nice set up at home.

Ah man, I wish I had a picture of my dorm room to show you. The speakers I have are listed below and they fit very well into my 12x14 dorm room, which includes two lofted beds, two desks, a couch, 42" plasma TV, and a coffee table.

I think you'll be glad you ended up going with the floorstanders. They may take up a bit more room, but your dorm will certainly be the go-to for hanging out in, playing games, and watching movies. It's just "fuller" entertainment.

Note: This is not my setup, but very close. I have a TV stand from IKEA (which isn't as wide as below) upon which the TV sits, along with the center speaker channel. My TV is the same size and you can see the size of the floorstanders. It should take up about the same amount of space for you, depending on the size of your stand and TV.

Attachments

• P6020005.jpeg
    P6020005.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 381

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Ah man, I wish I had a picture of my dorm room to show you. The speakers I have are listed below and they fit very well into my 12x14 dorm room, which includes two lofted beds, two desks, a couch, 42" plasma TV, and a coffee table.

I think you'll be glad you ended up going with the floorstanders. They may take up a bit more room, but your dorm will certainly be the go-to for hanging out in, playing games, and watching movies. It's just "fuller" entertainment.

Note: This is not my setup, but very close. I have a TV stand from IKEA (which isn't as wide as below) upon which the TV sits, along with the center speaker channel. My TV is the same size and you can see the size of the floorstanders. It should take up about the same amount of space for you, depending on the size of your stand and TV.
Are those some polk monitor 30s? because they appear to be shorter than the monitor 50s. and nice set up there. I think, thats what i am going to go for. Do you also have some rear speakers that are not included in the picture?

EDIT: Since we are on the topic of AV setups, how is this TV It seems like this will have the best image quality thanks to the IPS screen. and the motion blur found on IPS panels should be non existant because of the 120hz response time correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.