Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Ok, I might be doing something stupid here, but how on earth do you go about duplicating an audio CD?

First of all, before people start up on it, I'm not wanting to copy anything for a friend illegally or anything like that. I just want to make a copy so I can listen to it in the car when I go to a New Year party (5 hour trip) and I don't want to take the original.

I've imported into iTunes and I could just burn a playlist from there. But the CD (which is Brian Wilson's Smile) is a "flowing" album, i.e. the songs merge into each other. You know how crap iTunes is with gaps between songs, etc. Even if I burn an iTunes CD with "No gap" in the preferences, there is still a small annoying pause. (PLEASE APPLE FIX THIS!)

I know you can copy CDs using Disc Utility, but it doesn't seem to let me copy a commercial CD. It appears that Apple is covering its back. Is there a way to do it using Disc Utility, or does anyone know of a free program that will take care of it for me? By the way, I don't have or want to purchase Toast. Thanks.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
edesignuk said:
Using disk utility can you make an image of the CD then burn copies from the image?
When I select "New image" the "New image from disc" is greyed out. I inserted a photo CD that I made to compare it and it wasn't greyed out on that. So it appears there is some sort of copy protection on the Smile CD.

I can select New image from the toolbar but that just seems to create a blank disc image that is 600 odd megs in size. I guess I could try to drag the audio files from the CD into this image, but I'm sure I'd just end up with a data CD that had some AIFF files on it. :confused:

Call me stupid, but ever since they merged Disc Copy and Disc Utility from Jaguar to Panther, I've neveer understood how to copy a bloody disc...

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
It's not copy protection, per se, it's seems to be some "limitation" of disk utility. An audio CD doesn't seem to have a session, which is what you would normally copy. The only other way I know of duplicating audio CDs, is with Toast.

HTH

J

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
You can re-import the audio tracks, linking them into one track with no gaps between songs. This gives you a seamless play, but then you can't skip through songs, as you now only have a single track.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Thanks, that's an idea, although it's a bit limiting having just one track.

I guess I'll have to fire up the old PC and try to see if I can do anything on that. But I thought Macs would be less protective than Windows when it came to copying things, as Windows loves its security keys and registrations and stuff!

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
I may be all wrong, being a mac using for one day (just got my ibook yesterday!!!! :D ) but anyway, coming from Linux, here is what I would do, and I believe this would work in a terminal:
but the source CD in, and type "mount"
you'll see it listed in there. Mine is:
/dev/disk1s0 on /Volumes/CDNAME
heres what you do:
dd if=/dev/disk1s0 of=/Users/me/Desktop/myimage.iso
That will make and iso called "my image" on your desktop. Assuming you can burn an ISO on the Mac, like I said, just got it but it's worth a try! Good luck
Nick

iPost

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2003
The "free" way is to use the Unix open-source utility called cdrecord.

I haven't tried it, so unfortunately I cannot give you directions on how to install it. It is part of a package called Fink. You have to get down and dirty with the Unix terminal/command line to use it. Perhaps someone who has installed Fink and who has used cdrecord can give instructions.

Here are some useful links:
http://homepage.mac.com/machiavel/Text/cdrecord.html
http://fink.sourceforge.net/
http://homepage.mac.com/machiavel/Executables/cdrtools-OSXbin.tgz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.