Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poe8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I have a pretty speedy wifi network, but the atv seems to be taking forever to access any content in my library. It says "accessing" for a good 15 seconds Plus between pages. How long should this take, I thought it would be nearly instant.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
When I go into computers and select my iTunes library, it will say Accessing or Loading xxxxx's Library, and give me the spinning gear for about 5-7 seconds I would say. This is with about 2,500 songs, and 1000 photos, one music video, and 3 episodes of Heroes. I haven't decided if I want to take the time to handbrake my DVDs yet, so my library is much smaller than most. So, it is possible it may be related to how large your library is. Although, if your library is similar in size to mine, then maybe something else is going on.

I will also add that when trying to watch Movie Trailers and Podcasts on my ATV, it does spin alot longer than it does directly on my mac. Movie trailers start nearly instantly in Front Row on both my MacBook and my wife's iMac (both wireless). I hope that Apple fixes this. If our Macs can start streaming near-instantly, then so should the ATV. I know it's a new unit, and so Apple will just have to put in time to squash a few bugs. Hopefully it will all be working like a well-oiled machine soon.

poe8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
When I go into computers and select my iTunes library, it will say Accessing or Loading xxxxx's Library, and give me the spinning gear for about 5-7 seconds I would say. This is with about 2,500 songs, and 1000 photos, one music video, and 3 episodes of Heroes. I haven't decided if I want to take the time to handbrake my DVDs yet, so my library is much smaller than most. So, it is possible it may be related to how large your library is. Although, if your library is similar in size to mine, then maybe something else is going on.

I will also add that when trying to watch Movie Trailers and Podcasts on my ATV, it does spin alot longer than it does directly on my mac. Movie trailers start nearly instantly in Front Row on both my MacBook and my wife's iMac (both wireless). I hope that Apple fixes this. If our Macs can start streaming near-instantly, then so should the ATV. I know it's a new unit, and so Apple will just have to put in time to squash a few bugs. Hopefully it will all be working like a well-oiled machine soon.

It may be around the same 7-8 seconds as yours between menus, but that still seems like a long time. Im not actually streaming video, just trying to browse my iTunes library. I ended the night just giving up on it, was taking way too long to just get into my artist list. I have about the same content volume you do, which doesn't seem nearly as large as some I've seen. Maybe if both or one were hardwired it would speed things up, but that was clearly not the intent of this.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Just to clarify, the 5-7 seconds is just the initial wait when I click on my library. Once I get in, I don't believe there is much lag, but I haven't really played with it much yet. If I see anything helpful over the weekend I will post back and let you know.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
Everything was working well for a week.

Now today when I goto my library on the new apple tv , it just says loading my library message and nothing happens. Just the spinning wheel.

I wait and wait but it doesn't show my library. I have home sharing on my itunes and apple tv 2 on.

I try turning both off and turn them on again and still get the loading my library message with spinning wheel.

Update: I did a hard reset and everything works now. I can goto my library.

Very weird.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
So I have played with my ATV a bit, and can give more precise info.

The first time I accessed my library, it took about 5-7 seconds to load, but now that it has been done once it seems pretty instant. Likewise, the first time i went into music, and tv shows and photos (and other subcategories) it also took about 5-7 seconds on the first try, but each time i go in now it seems instant.

I think on this initial access it has to cache some info. I tried sleeping the ATV and then going back in, but it still seems instant when i move between menus. I'm not sure how long tis lasts or how often it might want to re-cache.

I then watched a movie trailer to add data to the buffer, then went back into my iTunes library accessing all the subcategries and all still seems instant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.