Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Hi,

Took my daughter out to the park last week and lost my Iphone 4 bought from an o2 shop a few months ago. Gutted.
Insurance came though (not gutted) and have just received my new freshly sealed, unopened iPhone 4 from the insurance company.

Is there a way to check if it is an unlocked phone before putting my replacement o2 micro sim in?

Also, when I put my sim in, will it then lock to o2?

Its charging at the mo, so gonna try in a bit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Hi,

Took my daughter out to the park last week and lost my Iphone 4 bought from an o2 shop a few months ago. Gutted.
Insurance came though (not gutted) and have just received my new freshly sealed, unopened iPhone 4 from the insurance company.

Is there a way to check if it is an unlocked phone before putting my replacement o2 micro sim in?

Also, when I put my sim in, will it then lock to o2?

Its charging at the mo, so gonna try in a bit.

Any advice is appreciated.

I don't believe that if you put an O2 sim into an unlocked iPhone it will be locked to that network - I sold my old unlocked 3GS to afriend and he now uses it on vodaphone with no difficulties. My current iPhone 4 was bought SIM free from Apple and is currently on O2, but has spent some time on Orange during a friends crisis...

Littleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
many thanks.

So as soon as i synced with itunes (and maybe updated carrier settings) it locked it to o2 :(

I havn't got a new micro sim to test but i assumed it might.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
was it o2 insurance, or a third party insurance? if it was third party, it may be factory unlocked, if it was o2, it'll likely be locked. either way, it will or won't be regardless of what do, just try it I guess.

Littleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
iMacDragon said:
was it o2 insurance, or a third party insurance? if it was third party, it may be factory unlocked, if it was o2, it'll likely be locked. either way, it will or won't be regardless of what do, just try it I guess.

So as soon as i synced with itunes (and maybe updated carrier settings) it locked it to o2 :(

I should have put a question mark after is. I am not sure it is locked. I have no way of telling.

It was 3rd party insurance. Lloyds tsb phone insurance.

Suction - why would i sell it? I love my iPhone.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006

I should have put a question mark after is. I am not sure it is locked. I have no way of telling.

I don't think it works like that.

EDIT: it doesn't... see attachment

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-09 at 12.46.12.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-09 at 12.46.12.png
    27 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.