Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1
slipper
macrumors 65816

Which would be better for me? Apple TV or WD TV Live

Here is my situation. I have a Macbook Pro which compared to a desktop is fairly limited on HD space. Recently i ripped my DVD collection to my external hard drive. I plan to use the "media player" (TV or WD TV) almost only for video and youtube. I prefer to keep it in the family however i have a few concerns:

1. Although my DVD collection isnt very big it'll take up almost all my internal HD space.

2. The fact that my only computer is a notebook, it will often be closed in sleep mode which i assume in sleep mode the TV cannot access my information.

3. I prefer not to have my external HD connected to my notebook since it no longer makes my portable a portable.

Are there any work arounds you folks can think of so i can stick with the Apple TV. Or should i just bite the bullet and get the WD TV Live?
slipper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
mike457
macrumors 6502

It would be helpful to know what format you've ripped your DVDs to and how much external storage space you're using.

If you do not want to run the files directly from the laptop, either the old Apple TV or the WD TV are your only choices. I have modded my old ATV to use a 320GB hard drive, which is the largest PATA 2.5 available.
mike457 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:24 PM   #3
slipper
macrumors 65816

Its MP4 format. Good idea, i'll check the local craigslist for used Apple TVs
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:29 PM   #4
bt22
macrumors 6502

If you have purchased anything from Apple that has DRM protection TV Shows, Movies... Then really Apple TV would be your only choice. WD TV Live won't play any DRM'd Apple purchases. Or wouldn't last time I checked. If you have a Airport Extreme or Time Capsule I've heard of people attaching an External HDD to them and using that External HDD for storing their iTunes Library. I've heard of some people having stutter issues... but may be worth looking into.

my 2 cents...
bt22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:02 PM   #5
slipper
macrumors 65816

That is another really good idea. Thanks! Can i attach an external HD to an Airport Express? I am in the amrket for another wireless router, but i dont think i can afford $180+tax

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater