Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1
poppe
macrumors 68020

G4 Powermac 400mhz - - Not working - - What to do?

I have a G4 Powermac that I have just sitting in my house. It started for me one day, ran great, was going to clean the hard drive, and then all of a sudden it just stopped turning on. 3 moves later and I've lost the power cord.

Any thoughts suggestion on what I can do with it? Do people still look for parts for these? Is recycling the best way to go, and if so how would I go about doing that?

I don't really have money to throw at it, so that isn't an option for me.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
bobbytomorow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppe View Post
I have a G4 Powermac that I have just sitting in my house. It started for me one day, ran great, was going to clean the hard drive, and then all of a sudden it just stopped turning on. 3 moves later and I've lost the power cord.

Any thoughts suggestion on what I can do with it? Do people still look for parts for these? Is recycling the best way to go, and if so how would I go about doing that?

I don't really have money to throw at it, so that isn't an option for me.
They use the same power cord as regular PC's, they are a dime a dozen and only a couple bucks at any local computer shop.

As for what you should do, tough to say what is wrong with it, nothing happens at all when you turn it on, no fans or anything?

Well the RAM, hard drive, optical drive original keyboard (if you have it) etc...is all worth a few bucks at least. You could throw it on craigslist and sell it as is, and see what you get.
bobbytomorow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:12 AM   #3
Dave H
macrumors 6502

Have you reset the PMU or replaced the PRAM battery?
If you need a new one, they are $7.69 with free shippinghere.
Radio Shack has them too, but for almost 3x as much.

Last edited by Dave H; Oct 9, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
Dave H is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4
AppleCode
macrumors regular

If i were you i would just sell it or recycle it .If you gave no use for it just get rid of it. I have one that I have to my parents for a email, easy web browsing and document editing. but they cant do much else
Old Oct 9, 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
poppe
macrumors 68020

Yeah nothing happens when I hit the power button. Does anyone know about recycling it in California? If I remember right I think I end up having to pay them for it to be recycled?

If I do try to sell/recycle it how would I go about wiping the hard drive? I have old work documents that would need to be deleted.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
dknightd
macrumors 6502

Remove hard drive - smash it with a big hammer.
dknightd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:43 PM   #7
bobbytomorow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppe View Post
Yeah nothing happens when I hit the power button. Does anyone know about recycling it in California? If I remember right I think I end up having to pay them for it to be recycled?

If I do try to sell/recycle it how would I go about wiping the hard drive? I have old work documents that would need to be deleted.
you can remove the hard drive pretty easily (tons of guides online if you are unsure). If you live in a big enough city area use craigslist, you can post an ad for free. Put it up for $40ish OBO and see what you get, if you are in a hurry post it in the free (giveaway) section and someone will be happy to pick it up.
bobbytomorow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:53 AM   #8
dknightd
macrumors 6502

I've used freecycle.org to give away a bunch of stuff I no longer wanted. Usually the recipient is glad to have it, and will pick up.
dknightd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs