Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Hi - I just purchased the new Apple TV which is great. I have a problem though. My iMac is situated near the apple TV and every time I use the Apple TV remote, it operates my Mac at the same time. I have unpaired the remote from ATV and re-paired it, but it still operates my mac as well. Any suggestions please? Thanks

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
On iMac: System preferences -> security -> disable remote control infrared receiver

pairing your remote to the Apple TV will still result in it controlling other devices. It's fun for a few minutes if its not your mac though :)

chriso89

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
Norway
not if you have paird the macbook with another control:)

question. what do you do if your apple tv remote dosent work anymore? buying a new apple remote wil not work if the old remote is paired with apple tv. wh

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Got it working thanks.

Paired my Mac remote only with the Mac and now the ATV remote only works with ATV. Thanks for all your help.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
As a last gen AppleTV owner I must say I really dislike the new remote.
It looks so much nicer then the little white one but I can't tell you how many times I press select when I meant left or right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.