Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502

Will I see any speed increase upgrading to a time capsule?

Right now, I have 2 of the new apple tvs connected via wireless n to a older apple extreme. The apple extreme has fast Ethernet and not gigabit Ethernet. On craigslist, I have been talking to a guy and he has agreed to sell me a 2tb time capsule for 250. If I buy the time capsule, I would be putting my older extreme on eBay but what I wanted to know was if I would notice any speed increase since the time capsule has gigabit Ethernet. From what I have seen online, it should be faster for wired devices but it is not clear if this carries over for wireless devices too. My imac has gigabit Ethernet so I wont have any issues there. Thanks to anyone who can help.
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Gigabit Ethernet will only help if you connect them via Ethernet, not wireless. However, 100Mb/s Ethernet is about as fast as wireless N so I doubt you would see any difference, unless you connect all devices with Ethernet. However, the TC supports dual-band operation (2.4GHz + 5GHz) so that may speed things up a little
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502

be careful buying a used time capsule. a lot of people have issues with their TC dying after awhile.
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that since the imac would be connected to the router at gigabit speeds, it would be able to serve media faster to the wireless Atvs. I just ran a simple test and I was able to stream "Date Night" to 2 apple tvs connected via wireless N without any stutter. This was cool since I got them to run at the same time! Now I just have to figure out if it's worth it to pay the $250 for the time capsule. It's seems like the only feature I will benefit from is the backup features.
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater