Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
x00JuGGiE00x
macrumors newbie

Exclamation New 60W MagSafe Power Adapter doesn't work.

I recently bought a new charger called the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, for some reason for the first time when I plug it into my Leopard Macbook, it works. But when I take it out and plug it back in, it doesn't seem to charge. I would have to remove my battery and place it in again for the charger to charge my macbook. I don't think the charger is the problem because it charges on my macbook Tiger fine. It's only my leopard macbook that has a problem.
x00JuGGiE00x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:02 AM   #2
youno
macrumors newbie

Is your macbook an 07 or 08 model? if it is there's a firmware update available to correct the battery charging issue.
youno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:07 AM   #3
x00JuGGiE00x
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by youno View Post
Is your macbook an 07 or 08 model? if it is there's a firmware update available to correct the battery charging issue.
I'm not sure about the model, but it is an ordinary macbook and not the "Pro" model. It is white and I ordered it in 2008, the resolution supports max at 1280x800, the Version is 10.5.8 and on the bottom of "About this mac" says TM & 1983-2009 Apple Inc. But at the bottom of my macbook says TM & 2007 Apple Inc.
x00JuGGiE00x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:22 AM   #4
youno
macrumors newbie

There's more info on the apple support site.
MagSafe power adapter does not charge computer and LED indicator light does not illuminate
youno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:08 PM   #5
firsttimeposter
macrumors newbie

a simple temporary fix that worked for me

background:
--seem to have an older model of macbook pro 13 inch. worked perfectly with its original power chord of course.
--original power chord was fraying
--bought from apple store the 80 dollar 60w magsafe power adapter
--walked miles home, didn't work. walked miles back, returned and got cash back (not trying to get their help, since i knew of replacements from non-apple vendors)
--original power chord finally frayed through
--researched replacements on amazon from non-apple vendors, bad reputation
--went back to apple store, got appointment with genius to ensure new product worked with my computer before taking it out of store.
+they plugged my computer into their standby power chords (scattered throughout their store)...didn't work.
+then did work.
+then new power chord from unopened box worked.
+since it didn't work at first, he did several diagnostics.
+SIGNIFICANT: during one of the steps above, and the genius and i thought nothing of it at the time, the genius turned the computer over, removed the battery (to get the serial number?), and then he simply reinserted it.
--i was happy cuz my new power chord worked.
--worked at home!
--then DIDN'T WORK at a later date
--came on these boards, and tried the firmware referenced above. DIDN'T HELP. my computer said i didn't need the update

HERE'S WHAT FINALLY DID IT
--i was desperate, power was low. so i tried what the apple guy tried (to find the serial number). i shut down the computer. i turned it upside down. i turned the screw thing (clockwise!) with a quarter. i took out the battery. i did nothing to it. i just put it back in. rescrewed. turned everything back on...AND IT WORKED!

long story short, and this might be a TEMPORARY FIX ONLY: if everything doesn't work, try just shutting down; turning computer upside down; unscrewing screw (clockwise); taking out battery; doing nothing; putting battery back in; rescrewing. turning computer back on

this could have to be RE-DONE EVERY SINGLE TIME the chord don't work

but i don't care

if this fixes the problem temporarily every time the chord don't work, i'll do it (despite the inconvenience). i just don't trust the non-apple vendors (given reviews on amazon). and i kind of don't trust that apple can fix this compatibility problem.
firsttimeposter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook