Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1
j0hnnys
macrumors member

Is a CS degree equivalent to a Software Engineering one?

When employers say they look for someone with a CS degree "or equivalent", is SE considered that one equivalent?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:39 PM   #2
lee1210
macrumors 68040

A 4-year degree in agricultural engineering and a few years of real world software development would be considered equal. They want a bachelor's to show you can commit to a long term obligation and complete it. They say CS because they think that means people will know how to code (a CS degree doesn't mean that).

If you know how to read, write and debug code and have a four year degree you should be covered. They generally don't ask for a Uni transcript with an application to get past HR, and once you're in an interview they should be able to assess if you can perform the job.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:40 PM   #3
robbieduncan

In almost all cases yes. Unless they have very specific reasons for wanting CS with it's more theoretic basis than SE. I'd say go for it.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

I actually majored in Computer Sci. for my first 3 years at uni., then for my 4th year switched to Software Engineering. (My BS was in SE.) The only change was a heavier emphasis on project- and requirements-based skills, including unit testing, requirements analysis, and various workplace productivity tools. (UML, Scrum, XP, etc.)

Computer Science generally tends to be more theoretical, and sometimes it felt to me like I wasn't developing enough practical "on the job" knowledge. There were parts of the coursework that involved projects, various programming languages and the like, but also courses involving low-level hardware design, (building a small CPU using AND/XOR gates), and on how math theory could be incorporated into proper database design (my least favorite).

In my very opinionated book, a degree in Software Engineering is more beneficial in the industry than a general Computer Science degree.

Last edited by Littleodie914; Oct 10, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Littleodie914 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:50 PM   #5
j0hnnys
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleodie914 View Post
I actually majored in Computer Sci. for my first 3 years at uni., then for my 4th year switched to Software Engineering. (My BS was in SE.) The only change was a heavier emphasis on project- and requirements-based skills, including unit testing, requirements analysis, and various workplace productivity tools. (UML, Scrum, XP, etc.)

Computer Science generally tends to be more theoretical, and sometimes it felt to me like I wasn't developing enough practical "on the job" knowledge. There were parts of the coursework that involved projects, various programming languages and the like, but also courses involving low-level hardware design, (building a small CPU using AND/XOR gates), and on how math theory could be incorporated into proper database design (my least favorite).

In my very opinionated book, a degree in Software Engineering is more beneficial in the industry than a general Computer Science degree.
Are the courses between CS and SE very similar?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:51 PM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnnys View Post
Are the courses between CS and SE very similar?
Depends on the institution.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:17 PM   #7
lee1210
macrumors 68040

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1026090

In that thread we discussed this, and I told you that you'll need to read the course catalogs to find out what the similarities and differences will be per University. That is still my advice.

-Lee

Last edited by lee1210; Oct 11, 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: A bit rude, in a bad mood
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming