Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j0hnnys

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
California
When employers say they look for someone with a CS degree "or equivalent", is SE considered that one equivalent?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
A 4-year degree in agricultural engineering and a few years of real world software development would be considered equal. They want a bachelor's to show you can commit to a long term obligation and complete it. They say CS because they think that means people will know how to code (a CS degree doesn't mean that).

If you know how to read, write and debug code and have a four year degree you should be covered. They generally don't ask for a Uni transcript with an application to get past HR, and once you're in an interview they should be able to assess if you can perform the job.

-Lee

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
In almost all cases yes. Unless they have very specific reasons for wanting CS with it's more theoretic basis than SE. I'd say go for it.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I actually majored in Computer Sci. for my first 3 years at uni., then for my 4th year switched to Software Engineering. (My BS was in SE.) The only change was a heavier emphasis on project- and requirements-based skills, including unit testing, requirements analysis, and various workplace productivity tools. (UML, Scrum, XP, etc.)

Computer Science generally tends to be more theoretical, and sometimes it felt to me like I wasn't developing enough practical "on the job" knowledge. There were parts of the coursework that involved projects, various programming languages and the like, but also courses involving low-level hardware design, (building a small CPU using AND/XOR gates), and on how math theory could be incorporated into proper database design (my least favorite).

In my very opinionated book, a degree in Software Engineering is more beneficial in the industry than a general Computer Science degree.

j0hnnys

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
California
I actually majored in Computer Sci. for my first 3 years at uni., then for my 4th year switched to Software Engineering. (My BS was in SE.) The only change was a heavier emphasis on project- and requirements-based skills, including unit testing, requirements analysis, and various workplace productivity tools. (UML, Scrum, XP, etc.)

Computer Science generally tends to be more theoretical, and sometimes it felt to me like I wasn't developing enough practical "on the job" knowledge. There were parts of the coursework that involved projects, various programming languages and the like, but also courses involving low-level hardware design, (building a small CPU using AND/XOR gates), and on how math theory could be incorporated into proper database design (my least favorite).

In my very opinionated book, a degree in Software Engineering is more beneficial in the industry than a general Computer Science degree.

Are the courses between CS and SE very similar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.