Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Dec 31, 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Tomb Raider: Lara on the Mac

Any fans out there of the adventures of Lara Croft?

I know it's not the hottest, latest thing out there but it's a game that gave me a great deal of pleasure through its various incarnations...

Loved 1, 2, parts of 3 & especially 4 (the egyptian one).
Hated 5: Chronicles...

Didn't buy 6: Angel of Darkness because of poor reviews & reported bugs.
It also costs about 40 over here (about US$80!)

Rumors are: Number 7 in production.
Development has been handed over to new U.S.-based developers after the disaster of Angel of Darkness. Due to be released mid-2005...

p.s. Crap movies... both of them. A missed opportunity.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:42 PM   #2
applekid
macrumors 68020

I could never understand what was so fun about Tomb Raider. I found it to be really boring.

I think people only played it for the boobies.
applekid is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekid
I could never understand what was so fun about Tomb Raider. I found it to be really boring.

Your handle is appropriate.
Get back to us when you're old enough to order a beer...
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:14 PM   #4
applekid
macrumors 68020

Hey, I was expressing my opinion, ma'am. And my name has a much better story behind it than the one you are thinking of, thank you very much.

The game was quite bland, when I played the first one. Not to mention, the first two had horrible controls (I haven't played the rest of the series). All you did was run, find a door, find a way to open it, with lots of traps on your way. I didn't think the levels were designed in a clever way. The puzzles were alright though. But the game as a whole was bad. I was traumatized by the first level of TR II. It.. just... can't be done, jumping to those pillars of rock. *shivers*

TR on the GBC was okay though. That was a pretty good game, especially for a GBC game.

I don't see why the series was popular at all and why it's be stringed out so much.
applekid is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2004, 07:44 PM   #5
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Since you're seeing Lara from behind 99% of the time, that can't be it....

They are pretty fun (the ones I've played anyway; I got the first five cheap off ebay a while ago and have been working my way through them in between other games). They do require a certain degree of dexterity though. Play with something other than the keyboard; an X-Arcade joystick works nicely.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:36 PM   #6
applekid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
They are pretty fun (the ones I've played anyway; I got the first five cheap off ebay a while ago and have been working my way through them in between other games). They do require a certain degree of dexterity though. Play with something other than the keyboard; an X-Arcade joystick works nicely.

--Eric
You'd recommend a joystick? I was having better luck with the keyboard than the PSOne controller when I was playing TR2.
applekid is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:28 PM   #7
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You'd recommend a joystick? I was having better luck with the keyboard than the PSOne controller when I was playing TR2.
Yes, a real joystick, like the X-Arcade I mentioned. With lots'o'buttons. I briefly played a bit of TR1 on the PSOne some years ago so I understand about the controller.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Jan 1, 2005, 02:50 AM   #8
neonart
macrumors 65816

I absolutely loved the first game- it was incredible at the time. I remember the first time I got to St. Fraces Follies (sp?) and looked down, no game had done anything like that. Or when the wolves jump at you at the begining of the second level! I dropped my controller and screemed like a little girl. (I admit it) That was almost 10 years ago...

Some people don't appreciate these "classic" games. (*sighs, and remembers Phantasy Star[SMS]*)

In any case, I found that as the sequels progressed, things did not really improve. 2 was ok, 3 was so-so, 4 & 5 I didn't even play, even though I have them and people say they're ok. Angle of Darkness could be a better game, but it sucks. Not sure why, but it does. It sits unplayed as well in my pile.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games