Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JtvNolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hey, fellow Mac geeks. I'm posting from my iPhone right now, as my problem isn't even letting me log in to my user. I'm using Mac version 10.5.8, if that helps. Anyways.

When I was on the computer, it had a spasm that came out of nowhere. When I would use the scroll wheel, the screen would zoom in and out, I was only able to right click, and various keys would bring up that dull tone if I pressed them. I restarted the computer, as it is the solutions to most problems, only to not be able to log in. The only way I could type anything is my holding the option key and typing letters, pressing the return key (the return key came as a character), or pressing q and typing. I have no idea what each thing does. Could I get some help, please? Thanks.

JtvNolan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Do you know how to get it "unstuck"? I've tried physically jiggling the keyboar and fiddling with the key, but no dice.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That does sound exactly like a stuck modifier key, presumably control as suggested.

Since a reboot didn't fix it and it's not obviously physically stuck, there are two possibilities I can think of:

1) Some kind of catastrophic software failure. Easy to rule out: Boot from the disc that came with the computer and see if they keyboard behaves normally there. If so, it's software, although I have no idea what to try if this were the case. If not, must be hardware.

2) Your keyboard decided to break in a weird way. If it's an external, at least it's easy to replace.

To confirm that it's actually broken (more important if it's a laptop), you could try pulling the key cap off (just pull the key up evenly by its edges using your fingernails or something like a paper clip to pry it with--it should pop off). If the silicone thing underneath is torn or gummed up or something, try fixing it or at least pulling it out so it stops holding the key down. If it's clean and normal looking, maybe it just broke.

Rare, but I've seen similar things happen.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
or a lot more likely

3) someone spilled something containing sugar in your keyboard, just enough to make your control key stick, or cover the connector, making it appear to the os as if pressed down all the time.

the easiest way to troubleshoot this is just to try a different keyboard. - presuming that you can remove the one that isn't working right now.. ( basically if you have a desktop )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.