Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I am looking for an iPad case (preferably one with a booklike design like the Apple case) that can be docked. I don't really care if it's the original Apple dock or some other dock that I can purchase, but I really would like a case that I can use both at home and on the go.

Suggestions? I like the Macally Bookstand case for its looks, but I just want something nice that I never have to remove.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The original Apple case can be modified slightly to accomodate the dock. I made a more drastic modification (carefully trimmed the back of the case where the iPad keyboard dock-plate sits. Worked great. Others had good experience trimming a much smaller section off (only about 1/5" - 3/4" section of the back where the dock-plate sits.

I have since moved on to the Macally Bookstand and purchased an iPod dock extension cord ($5) so that I can use the iPad without removing it from the Bookstand and can use it in landscape orientation.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
The Griffin Standle might fit your needs. It's not a folio, though it has built in stand for viewing in both landscape and portrait and it can be used for landscape typing. I'd get it myself if I could, but it's not available were I live... there's a few reviews in the Apple store. I haven't found any online in the usuall forums and bloggs.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I'm afraid to say I hate the look of the Griffin Standle.

The Macally Bookstand seems a pretty nice case but I hear a lot of bad things about the quality of the thing. I may just buy another case with a built-in-stand and forgo using a dock, just plugging in a cable and using the built in 'stand' for home-usage.

I'm gonna go look up good folio style cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.