Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1
aonflux
macrumors member

Does the apple TV turn off?

I put mytv to sleep, but the white light keeps going on and off.
aonflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2
stridemat

Press and hold the 'play' button while on the main menu page.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:14 PM   #3
citizenal
macrumors regular

Did not know that I could just hold down the play pause button. I always just go to settings and shut down. Good to know.
citizenal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:19 PM   #4
aonflux
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
thanks. I did that.
but the white light still stays on.
And after sometime it goes off and on continuously.
aonflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
It's actually the center round button, not the play button. And I think you may have to be on the main menu for it to work. You can also go into settings and there is an option at the bottom of the list that says "Sleep Now." Plus, there is a setting to have it automatically go to sleep after an adjustable amount of time.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:57 PM   #6
newagemac
macrumors 68000

I don't get it. Why turn it off or sleep it at all? The new Apple TV only uses 6 watts MAX. In real world situations it's less than that. For instance, it uses less than 2 watts while playing a Netflix video. When on and idle (not sleep), it uses less than 1 watt.

To put this in perspective, the typical cable/satellite DVR uses about 30 watts when turned off.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Surf Monkey
macrumors 68000

It turns off when it detects that the monitor attached via HDMI is no longer receiving signal. Turn off your TV or switch TV inputs and it shuts down.

But at 5 watts, what's the issue?
Surf Monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:44 PM   #8
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Oh and just to clarify, the reason cable/satellite DVRs use 30 watts or so even when "turned off" is because they are never really fully off when you turn them off. They are actually in standby/sleep mode because they need to be on to be able to record at anytime.

So 30 watts when sleep and/or doing nothing for a DVR compared to less than 1 watt when doing nothing for an Apple TV tells me that almost no one should be concerned with sleeping the Apple TV.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:09 PM   #9
wodeh
macrumors regular

Apple kindly supplied some black tape with your AppleTV. Snip out a bit of tape, apply it to the LED and bob's your aunt. No more night time annoyances.

LED off option in the menu please, Apple, It's kind of implied that it's on when, you know, I'm watching something on it. And the rest of the time I really don't care.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:40 PM   #10
BoulderBum
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
I don't get it. Why turn it off or sleep it at all? The new Apple TV only uses 6 watts MAX. In real world situations it's less than that. For instance, it uses less than 2 watts while playing a Netflix video. When on and idle (not sleep), it uses less than 1 watt.
In my experiments, I think idle used 1.2W or so, while sleep drew .8W. I'm all for energy efficiency and every little bit helps.

The Apple TV instruction manual describes what blinking lights mean and apparently "flashing quickly" means "having problems". Flashes can mean other things like "accepting a command", but my Apple TV light doesn't seem to come on right now with the unit in standby.

My advice would be to call AppleCare since you get 90 days worth of complimentary phone support.
BoulderBum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:39 PM   #11
blueprint1983
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to blueprint1983
is there a way to turn it on without the remote?
blueprint1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:38 AM   #12
BoulderBum
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint1983 View Post
is there a way to turn it on without the remote?
You can configure it to go into standby in as little time as 15 minutes, which is what I do. Just poke around in "Settings".

Otherwise you'll have to turn off your power strip.
BoulderBum is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater