Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1
james92se
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 continually shows usage time same as standby time

Not sure when this started as there were long stretches (few weeks) where I didn't check my usage times on my phone. However, the past few days I've been noticing that my phone is displaying my usage time as my standby time and the battery draining inordinately fast.

For example, right now, my phone shows standby time as 3 hrs and 33 minutes (which is correct from the time I took my phone off the charger this morning). It's also showing my usage time as 3 hrs and 13 minutes. I haven't hardly used my phone at all this morning yet the battery is down to 70%.

I always have push OFF on my phone and set to fetch data manually. Yet the other night, I was awakened in the middle of the night by e-mail notifications.

Could push somehow be "on" even though I have it turned off? Even if that was the case, push being on doesn't count as "usage" time, does it?

For the record my phone is jailbroken on 4.0 but I really don't have a ton of stuff in terms of jailbreak on it. I have SBsettings, 3G unrestrictor, MyWi, iBlacklist, Flashlight, Resupported, and DisplayOut installed on it
james92se is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:59 PM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

Could be a glitch. Try 'Reset All Settings' and 'Reset all Network Settings' both under Settings> General> Reset to see if that changes anything.

(this will not erase any vital information from your phone)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3
willsoriano
macrumors member

Did it fix it?

I got iOS 5 and it's happening. I remember it doing it on 4.3and I got my phone replaced. There has got to be an easy way of fixing this.
willsoriano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:13 AM   #4
danny7
macrumors newbie

Hi,

When I was having the Same problem with Standby and Usage Times and a very short Battery Life… I tried the usual fixes...

Restart

Reset

Restore (from Backup)

The Only thing that eventually Worked (for me) was to do a Restore as New…

Very Easy and Straight Forward… and the phone has been performing Brilliantly ever since....
danny7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:49 AM   #5
willsoriano
macrumors member

when you restore as new does that mean installing all your calanders and contacts and apps 1 at a time, or full system restore loading the firm ware choosing as new then when complete restoring from back up?
willsoriano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:54 AM   #6
vebs
macrumors regular

This happened to me a couple of times, powering down the phone and turning it back on solved the problem.
vebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Superman80
macrumors regular

I find this occasionally happens to me after I have used whatsapp, usually i just close that fully or power down and that seems to work
Superman80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:05 AM   #8
ErnesP
macrumors newbie

Just a plain old reboot fixes this for me
ErnesP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:39 AM   #9
iFiend
macrumors 65816

I had this happen to me once. What I did was recalibrate the battery.

Kill your battery until your phone shuts off on its own. Then, plug your phone into AC power (it works much faster) and let it charge completely to 100% while not using it (this is important). Once fully charged use as usual and hopefully your problem will be solved!

A lot better than restoring

Last edited by iFiend; Jun 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
iFiend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:14 PM   #10
paulb7024
macrumors newbie

Talking Battery life issue resolved but for how long.....

My iPhone4 suddenly developed the rapid battery drain problem - 100%-0 in 9 hours with no use and all push, notifications and wifi switched off. Tried a few of the suggestions regarding mail, calendar and contacts, reboot etc but no difference. Did a complete restore and hey presto, battery back to normal. 100%-95% in 11 hours so far with wifi and 3G switched on.

I have only put a few 3rd party apps back on my phone (56 deleted) but I honestly don't think that was the problem as I hadn't added anything new prior to the battery problem developing. Very odd! Has Apple made any comments on this obviously quite common experience? I had updated to OS 4.3.5 following the problem starting but this didn't help.
paulb7024 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:47 PM   #11
phoebetoes
macrumors newbie

Im having this problem too, on my JB'n 3GS running 4.3.5 I have to boot tethered. Is this the same as a hard reset, which will hopefully fix the problem? Many thanks!
phoebetoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:09 PM   #12
jrodsep
macrumors 6502

My wife's phone does this occasionally and the culprit on almost all occasions is the Facebook app. I don't know why but the only thing I have to do is to kill the app in the multitasking tray and reboot the phone and it is fixed. I have only done the restore as new only once when I didn't know what it was.
jrodsep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone