Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Continuing its series on Macworld Expo, Think Secret now reports that Apple will introduce a productivity suite named iWork '05, the application code-named Sugar in the previous report.

The suite will include Keynote 2 as well as a word processor named Pages, once known as Document.

According to the report, iWork '05 will use a software serial number, require a 500MHz system or better, run on Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later, and will likely come with most new Mac models, including the rumored Headless iMac.

Pricing is unknown, although Think Secret speculates that iWork '05 is likely to cost more than iLife ($49) since Keynote alone is currently $99 and AppleWorks is currently $79. The Appleworks 6 suite, which is now five years old, has components for word processing, drawing/pagelayout, painting, spreadsheet, database, and slideshow/presentations.
Chatter surrounding iWork--then called iWorks, as it was speculated to be the successor to AppleWorks--first emerged almost two years ago. Since then, iWork has become a perennial rumor favorite, as AppleWorks 6 continues to show its age and lack of refinement associated with Apple's applications today. Steve Jobs introduced AppleWorks 6 during Macworld Expo San Francisco in 2000, making the application a dinosaur in software years by today's standards.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hmm... Sounds good! Hope Apple isn't shooting themselves in the foot by taking on easily the largest production suite in the world! :eek:

Edit: I know I'll buy it though! :rolleyes:

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Cool. But if it isn't compliant and/or compatable with Microshaft Orface files it's going to be rather useless to many of us who have to deal with peecee lusers on a daily basis. Hope Apple has their ducks in a row on this one.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
This macworld is becoming more hyped then when the G5 was released at WWDC 03!

The way apple has been chugging along, this could be yet another step in their climb back to the top.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
So at MWSF, Jobs will introduce?:

iPod mini 5GB
iPod flash (iPod sport, iPod play, iPod micro, etc)
Asteroid
iMac mini (iMac media, xMac, uMac, cMac etc)
Pages
iWorks

geez, sounds like quite a handful..

other possibilities include:
updated PowerBooks (been 8 months since last refresh)
updated PowerMacs (been 6 months)

seems like alot of announcements. I wouldnt be surprised if only 2 of the listed products actually are announced.

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Sir_Giggles said:
So at MWSF, Jobs will introduce?:

iPod mini 5GB
iPod flash (iPod sport, iPod play, iPod micro, etc)
Asteroid
iMac mini (iMac media, xMac, uMac, cMac etc)
Pages
iWorks

geez, sounds like quite a handful..

other possibilities include:
updated PowerBooks (been 8 months since last refresh)
updated PowerMacs (been 6 months)

seems like alot of announcements. I wouldnt be surprised if only 2 of the listed products actually are announced.

don't forget ilife 05 and a tiger release date!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This is going to be quite the MWSF, looking forward to it! If iWork is true, then I might be able to get away with having no MS software on my Mac whatsoever!

Oh, and I submitted this news story once it came out, but didn't get credit, so I assume someone else beat me to the punch... next time... ;)

zamyatin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2003
NYC
where the puck is going

Forget Microsoft Office, it's dead in the water. OpenOffice is rising and going to dominate. This product needs to used OpenDocument formats as its defaults. "Skate to where the puck is going, not where it is."

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
a replacement for appleworks. thank god.

serial numbers? apple's moving away from their "trust the user" concept... but then, if the headless iMac rumors are true, they're moving away from a lot of things.

paul

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when i say pirate i mean my dad will buy it and i'll install it on like 5 macs.

2x cubes
2x ibook's
1x friends g3

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was surprised that Keynote wasn't given a lower price all along, given that it is but one component of a typical suite. It appears that iWork will be positioned as a mid-priced (not bargain-priced) suite, more than AppleWorks but much less than MS Office.

Students usually get good bargains on productivity suites, and I would expect iWork to replace AppleWorks as the free software that comes with consumer Macs, so it should very quickly develop a large base of users.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
zamyatin said:
Forget Microsoft Office, it's dead in the water. OpenOffice is rising and going to dominate. This product needs to used OpenDocument formats as its defaults. "Skate to where the puck is going, not where it is."

I can't believe you wrote that. MS Office is dying off?? HA!

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
interesting rumor. i don't know what kind of mac user wouldn't be interested in Apple's take on productivity applications. sure it won't be as much of a bargain as iLife is, but still, compared to MS Office i'm sure it will be. maybe this also means that iCal will see some improvements that some people have been clamoring for.

this is why i like Apple's niche position. they can outfit their hardware with some top notch software, and because they have only a small percentage of the market, they can get away with it. though, i think the only issue is whether or not it comes preinstalled on new machines (similar to windows media player or internet explorer, which are the two that have caused microsoft problems).

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
I sure hope that I can shoehorn this to work on the 300 400MHz iMacs I run...

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
according to Ryan @ Think Secret regarding the codenames:
I believe Crossbow is Keynote 2 and Slingshot is Pages. Not enough evidence to go on the record with that info, however. But we do know that Sugar is the name for iWork '05 that encompasses those other apps, just like Sphere is the code-name for iLife '05. Just wanted to clarify that since in your previous post about Road to Expo you made it seem (as did we) that Sugar/Crosssbow/Slinghsot were 3 new apps, when it appears that they are 1 suite and 2 apps.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Hot hot hot.

This is going to be one HELL of a keynote!!

And apparently a very consumer-oriented one (iLife, iWork, cheapMac).

I don't think we will hear a peep about the pro line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.