Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
2Southern
macrumors member

Wi-fi router / Belkin N+ (F5D8235) vs. TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

So... i need a new router after my old belkin pre-n f5d8230-4 stopped working.

I was looking at the two metioned above but now im confused. I do not want to buy an unreliable router... i have read many reviews but after reading those im even more confused on which to buy...

So is Belkin any goodt? Some say that the usb port is not working well...

And TP-Link... I have heard that mac's dont like it a lot (its chipset or something)... Any truth in that?

i have a 24mb down and 2mb up connection.and i want to make the most out of it.

Which one do you suggest?

Tnx
2Southern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Faatimah
macrumors newbie

I got the TP link WR1043ND for over a year now, and no complaints, transfer over ethernet is about 80MB/s. Over wireless I get about 8MB/s. I use it with my iMac i5 (wired and wireless), 13" MBP (wireless) and my i7 870 PC. I connect to the internet with a USRobotics ADSL2+ ethernet/USB router (bridged mode).
The TP link was a lot cheaper than the competition, its very reliable and I haven't known it to stop working unless there's something wrong on the ISP's end.
Boxee and plex for some reason stutter with 1080p streaming via the router when I'm just connected with the ethernet cable, but for some reason wireless is fine, with no dropped frames.
Hope this helps...
Faatimah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:38 AM   #3
2Southern
macrumors member

And what is your connection? in mb up and download speed i u would please

It is helpful, tnx!
2Southern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Faatimah
macrumors newbie

I was gonna write it but forgot...anyways...at the moment I've only got a paltry
2MB ADSL connection...I get about 230KB/s down, and 50KB/s...
this probably wont decide for you since your speed is 10x as much.
Initially I was never gonna buy TP link, but its build quality and web interface
is a lot better than the link-sys router I had before.

I dont know if this is normal, but my imac is connected to the router with
airport and the ethernet cable, and when I'm downloading a file both are
used at the same time.

Last edited by Faatimah; Oct 12, 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Southern View Post
So... i need a new router after my old belkin pre-n f5d8230-4 stopped working.

I was looking at the two metioned above but now im confused. I do not want to buy an unreliable router... i have read many reviews but after reading those im even more confused on which to buy...

So is Belkin any goodt? Some say that the usb port is not working well...

And TP-Link... I have heard that mac's dont like it a lot (its chipset or something)... Any truth in that?

i have a 24mb down and 2mb up connection.and i want to make the most out of it.

Which one do you suggest?

Tnx
why Belkin?

Apple Airport

Set it and forget it!

Better yet, buy the one with the 2 TB hard drive and use as time machine.
Thunderhawks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:38 AM   #6
winnieyip
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faatimah View Post
I got the TP link WR1043ND for over a year now, and no complaints, transfer over ethernet is about 80MB/s. Over wireless I get about 8MB/s. I use it with my iMac i5 (wired and wireless), 13" MBP (wireless) and my i7 870 PC. I connect to the internet with a USRobotics ADSL2+ ethernet/USB router (bridged mode).
The TP link was a lot cheaper than the competition, its very reliable and I haven't known it to stop working unless there's something wrong on the ISP's end.
Boxee and plex for some reason stutter with 1080p streaming via the router when I'm just connected with the ethernet cable, but for some reason wireless is fine, with no dropped frames.
Hope this helps...
Hello, I am a new user for MBP and TP link TL-WR1043ND. The Baffalo external USB thumb drive could work fine when connected to the MBP. However, it could not be "seen" when connecting to the USB port of the TL-WR1043ND. Do you have any hint for me? Thanks very much in advance
winnieyip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Faatimah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnieyip View Post
Hello, I am a new user for MBP and TP link TL-WR1043ND. The Baffalo external USB thumb drive could work fine when connected to the MBP. However, it could not be "seen" when connecting to the USB port of the TL-WR1043ND. Do you have any hint for me? Thanks very much in advance
Try mounting it, in the routers web interface, and it has to be ntfs/fat formatted I think. I haven't got access to my router at the moment, so I can't give u anything definitive.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice