Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1
hdsalinas
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to hdsalinas
My TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, what are my options?

My 42" LCD only has two HDMI inputs and I currently have my Cable DVR connected using one of the inputs. I want to get an appleTV and a PS3 later on. How can I connect these three units to my TV at the same time?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
CorporateFelon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsalinas View Post
My 42" LCD only has two HDMI inputs and I currently have my Cable DVR connected using one of the inputs. I want to get an appleTV and a PS3 later on. How can I connect these three units to my TV at the same time?
AV Receiver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
CorporateFelon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502

Or you can hook your cable box to the component input on your tv.
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

HDMI switch:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10110
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Disc Golfer
Banned

You need an HDMI switch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-197-_-Product
Disc Golfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 AM   #6
joudbren
macrumors regular

You can also try an inexpensive HDMI switch. Lot's of 3 or more port switches around that also have a remote to switch the ports. I had one before I got my new TV and it worked flawlessly even keeping the HDCP stuff alive when switching.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...remote&x=0&y=0

Cheers!

James
joudbren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:23 PM   #7
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

I picked up a 3to1 Phillips HDMI switch at Wal-Mart. Works Perfectly. I have a Blu-Ray player and DirecTV running through it without any issues and plan on adding my Apple TV. Sure, it's a ye olde push button switch, but it works.

Just find the cheapest one you can find. The technology in the things are nothing fancy. You aren't getting a better signal out of a more expensive switch.
bobsentell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 04:29 AM   #8
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

AV receiver... Got an inexpensive one myself a few months back and haven't regretted it - Sony HT-IS100. Everything sounds so much better now and have no shortage of HDMI ports!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:50 AM   #9
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

Or you could use the Georgia AV multiplexer. Carefully label each of the HDMI input cables, marking them as "ATV", "DSB" or "CBL", "DVD", etc. on distinctly colored paper for each. Then plug in the two you use most often into the HDMI ports on your television. If you need to switch to another device, unplug one of the cables and plug in the one you want. It is a surprisingly inexpensive, if inelegant, solution, but it works well if the rear of your television is easily accessible and you have no shame.
Cartaphilus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:37 AM   #10
GTDaveMac
macrumors member

On Thursday I should get my new Pioneer VSX-1020K.... had a 1014 that I got at a yard sale, and it is great but has no HDMI. In order to simplify my setup and avoid having to adjust my receiver as well as TV inputs to switch to the ATV2, I went with the 1020K... although the lower priced models have similar features (3 HDMI port and up) I wanted the dual zone capability of the 1020 for outside and in-house speakers. Aside from that, that, they all can be controlled via an iPhone app.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...VSX-520-K.Kuro

It's pretty neat that I will be able to sit on my porch, open the Pioneer app and tell my receiver to turn on the outside speakers, select a source such as Apple TV, then open the Apple Remote app and stream music. (Or just stream directly to the receiver with Bluetooth, but I would rather not waste the battery.)

J&R has $30-150 off retail on these Pioneer receivers.
GTDaveMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater