Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Nrwrit3r
macrumors 6502a

Free unlimited 3g for computer via the Kindle?

I know it's not an iphone, but the kindle has unlimited 3g for free once you buy the product.

Would it be possible to "channel" this 3d (tether it) to your computer? If the 3g access is there, is it impossible to harness it and use it with your computer?
Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

My guess is the kindle would have to be hacked to provide something like that.
But I dont know if anything like this is available, this is an iphone hacks section
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:42 PM   #3
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
My guess is the kindle would have to be hacked to provide something like that.
Some people have already tried, the 3G connection of the kindel is not really a fully 3G connection it is just a Pipe from a big pool that goes to a proxy to only allow some traffic and some sites. All this is done at the server level, even you "Jailbreak" the kindel, there is nothing you can do with that connection.

Note: all those efforts were made on the original model, maybe stuff have change for the latest model, but i don't think so considering that it is not a monthly fee for it.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Not currently possible. Frankly I hope it never is, as that will be the point Amazon is forced to charge legitimate users for it.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Interesting.
I noticed they don't charge for data for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturola View Post
Some people have already tried, the 3G connection of the kindel is not really a fully 3G connection it is just a Pipe from a big pool that goes to a proxy to only allow some traffic and some sites. All this is done at the server level, even you "Jailbreak" the kindel, there is nothing you can do with that connection.

Note: all those efforts were made on the original model, maybe stuff have change for the latest model, but i don't think so considering that it is not a monthly fee for it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:04 PM   #6
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Interesting.
I noticed they don't charge for data for it.
No point in it right now, most users aren't heavy data consumers on it. It's not exactly the best surfing device out there. Black and white, relatively slow. I love mine--and it is hacked for a few tweaks--but if I need web access for anything beyond downloading books, I grab the iPhone or iPad. In 18 months, I think I've used the web twice on it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks