Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seelab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
Hi everybody,

Here is my story:

January 1st 2005

10/20/04
I order a Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz on the Apple store
ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM
Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
iSight
Chosen shipping method is Expedited Shipping (Canada)
Total: 7.481 CAD

10/29/04
"Due to an unexpected delay in manufacturing, we were unable to ship your Power Mac G5 by the date that you were originally quoted"

11/02/04
FedEx delivers my PowerMac G5 at 10:49 AM., 13 days after my order was placed on Apple Store Online.
I'm glad i paid 85 CAN Dollars for EXPEDITED SHIPPING.

I open the box. The nightmare begins here.
The computer boots fine the first time. I did the registration, configured Mail, MacosX updates, etc ...
Reboot.
My brand new PowerMac didn't boot that second time.
When I switch the power on, I hear the fans going, but there is no chime and the hard drive is silent. After about 5 mins the fans start going nuts as if the whole machine is about to take off. No power to the monitor or keyboard.

I call Apple care technicians. Like every customer service i've experienced, it's a very long process before having someone actually taking care of your problem.
After 5 days and a lot of calls, they offered 2 solutions: "Take your G5 to the nearest Apple dealer" or "we can start a Dead On Arrival procedure". The guy tells me it's a long procedure, can take up to 3 weeks before i get a replacement. He was not even sure my problem could be considered DOA...

Ok, i want this problem to be fixed as soon as possible. I'll go to a store 2 blocks away. I don't have a car so i took this heavy G5 with me to the store. The technician at the store confirms i shouldn't try the DOA procedure because they can fix my G5 faster here. After having described the problem, the manager told me if the fans are working, your product can not qualify for a DOA procedure.
Ok, i 'll fix the G5 here then.
The technician take my phone number. They will call me back within 5 days to give me the diagnostic.

5 days later, no call from the technician. I go to the store. He ordered a new logic board because it seems to be a logic board failure. "We'll call you back", he tells me.

2 weeks later, not a single call. I call and leave a message because he's not available.

11/18/04
He calls me back. The new logic board hasn't fixed the problem. He thinks it's the power supply so he ordered one and he will call me back.

12/03/04
I go to the store. My PowerMac G5 is supposed to be fixed. There is a huge scratch on one of the aluminium handle.
The technician seems surprised when i bring this to his attention. He calls the manager. 15 minutes later after 2 calls from the technician, the manager finally appears. He sees the scratch on the G5's case "ouch, it's a big scratch !. Ok, we can give you a 50 dollars coupon in our store or we can order a new case and replace it at no cost".
I accepted the case replacement. "We 'll call you back when the case is here but it can take up to 3 weeks".
I leave the store.
At home, i boot the G5. The fans are running at full speed and the noise is huge and constant.
I go back to the store, the technician seems surprised. "We tested your G5 here". He's not even willing to admit it's an issue but if i bring the computer back he will take a look at it".
Back home then back to the store (by foot) with the G5.
The technician configured the fans with a CD. Took an hour. He told me at the end i could have done this at home with the DVD that came with my G5. Thank you fo sharing that information. I've spent the most exciting hour of my life waiting in your store for something you should have done before delivering this machine to me.
So, he will call me back in 3 weeks for the case problem. Sure. (i've since never had a single call from the technician).

12/10/04
I've been using my PowerMac G5 for a week now. I've another issue which seems to be getting worse everyday. Some horizontal and vertical lines (made of pixels) are filling my screen entirely. First, there were only a few lines appearing a few hours after start up. But now these lines appear as soon as the start up process. They even appeared when starting on A CD like during the Apple Hardare Test. This test reveals a Video Memory - Graphic Card problem. There is an Error Code and instructions saying i should call Apple Care Technicians.

Again, a painfull experience with Apple services. Took another 3 days and a lot of calls, waiting with the background music, explaining the same story again and again (which is more and more complicated also), they take your phone number but never call back or they transfer you to someone else but either mistakenly or purposefully hung up on you so you have to call back and try again. Again, they can't help. I have to go to an Apple dealer, it's the only solution.

12/13/04
I finally talk to an Apple customer service employee who is willing to help. The Apple Customer Reps calls a technician and the 3 of us talked about the error code from the Apple hardware test and the pixels filling my screen entirely. So it must be the Graphic Card. This is a Customer Installable Part so we can ship you a new one and you send the deffective card within 10 days. If you don't, we'll charge your credit card.
Why didn't they offer me that solution sooner, i'll never know...
He is going to send me a new Graphic Card and 512 Mo RAM as a gift for the inconvenience.

seelab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
12/20/04
One week later, i haven't received anything. I Call Apple, they give me a DHL tracking number.
I check on dhl.com with the tracking number. The package has been sent in International Express and it was in Montreal on december 14th. Delivery attempted Please Call 1-888-273-8876. I call the number but it didn't work, it's not an active number. So, i call the DHL customer service. Took 45 minutes before i could talk to someone. I explain the problem: there was a delivery attempt but I haven't received any note or phone call from DHL. He gives me a case number, ask my adress to confirm they had the good one and i got a guarantee i will receive the package tomorrow.

12/21/04
No delivery that day.
I call DHL back and i give the tracking number and the case number. "We are sorry sir but we can't help you, we don't know what happened to your package. You need to call Airborne, it's not our problem anymore".
I call Airborne. "Sorry sir but your problem can only be solved with Purolator. They have your package". I try the tracking number on Purolator website and it says exactly the same as on DHL website. The package left Apple the 13th, arrived in Montreal the 14th and a delivery attempt.

From december 21st to december 24th I called Purolator every day. Again, i waited, i talked to different people who didn't know anything about the package. They couldn't bring any new informations, when i asked to talk to a manager they just hang up on me. There was supposed to be a specific person working on my problem but this person was never here. I left some messages and they didn't call back. Trying to have another person work on my problem was impossible.

12/23/04
I call Apple back and tell them about the lost packages and my attempts with DHL, Airborne, and Purolator.
"Apple can't solve this problem with the carrier so the only thing we can do for you is to send you another package".
- Ok, are you gonna use DHL again because i have no more confidence in their services ?
"Yes, we have a contract so we can't use another one sorry."

12/24/04
Purolator calls me back: You will receive your package on December 29th. The appartement number was missing in the address.

12/29/04
Didn't get any delivery that day.
I call Apple and they give me a tracking number for the second package.
I see on Purolator's website the second package is "On vehicle for delivery" at 09:43 AM. Good news, i may finally receive this graphic card today.
Well, .... guess what. No.
After 5:00 PM, I call Purolator. They don't know where is the second package and they don't have any informations about the first package as well. They search but they do not find anything.

12/29/04
I call Apple Care technicians and tell them the carrier has lost the second package as well. They are going to call DHL and see what happens. Please call back tomorrow. If there is no other solution we will send you a third package but not with DHL (finally...).

12/30/04
I've got a delivery. 2 packages. At this moment i was thinking they had finally found the packages. Great. I noticed there was indeed the appartment number missing in the adress Apple printed on the boxes.
I open the two boxes and it's a nighmare. In each box, a single 256 Mb RAM. These two packages are indeed the gift supposed to come with the graphic card.
So i realize there are 3 packages sent the 13th by Apple and 3 other packages sent on december 23rd. 6 packages and i received two of them but not the one i really need (the graphic card).
There is a paper inside (in english) saying i have to send the defective part within 10 days or they will charge my credit card.
There is also a sticker on the box saying i may receive an invoice because the value of this package is over 20 dollars. So, i may actually have to pay for that gift from Apple.

I call Purolator. No news from the packages. They are searching...

I call Apple Customer Service and i beg him to help. I explain i've this G5 dead on my desk since i purchased it 2 months ago. I've lost countless hours with the customer services of Apple, DHL, Purolator with no results.

He calls Purolator and come back to me saying the other packages are going to be delivered today. My answer was that i've been told that kind of things many times. He then call back Purolator and the 3 of us have conference. The girl from Purolator has a different information now. The packages won't be delivered today. They don't know where they are. The Apple Customer Rep is chocked by the answers of Purolator customer's service. They are rude, unhelpful and they still have no informations.
He is going to call them back tomorow and he promises me to give me some news tomorow morning.

12/31/04
Haven't received any news from the Apple Rep of course.
At 3 P.M i call him back. He is not here so i leave a message.
He calls back one hour later.
Again he calls Purolator and we have a conference. The Apple Rep and the girl from Purolator are having an animated conversation in english... leading nowhere. No informations about the packages. The girl from Purolator says they are not even responsible because the packages are in the hands of a fourth company (so the packages have been in the hands of 4 companies between California and Quebec ...). She also admits their scanning system is far from being perfect.
I then asked the Apple Rep to take care of my problem instead of calling me to make me hear his experience with the Purolator's customer service. I've been dealing with Purolator for weeks so i know it'll lead nowhere and i will loose another 2 weeks. Purolator is closing now for a few days because of New Year's Eve.

Conclusion:

As of today, 2 months later after my purchase, i still have a dead computer with a scratch but none of these big companies are responsible. It's allways someone else.
In 2005, we have emails, internet, fax, ... lots of communication technologies but companies like Purolator and DHL who are advertising they are fast easy and reliable are unable to find a package.
I've lost many job opportunities (i didn't buy an expensive G5 to play "The Sims") I've also lost countless hours and hours on the phone.
I lost 2 months and what did I get ? Two 256 Mb of RAM. Value = 120 $.
And the problem has still not been handled seriously.

This computer is now 2 months older (which is big in technology). If Apple release PowerMac updates now, this dual 2Ghz will also be cheaper. This is very frustrating too.

Again, i'm glad i paid for EXPEDITED SHIPPING...

I know it's a long story. Thank you for reading it.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Holy Mercy. When i read the title i figured it was an easy fix.... something that was the users fault or something Apple resolved quickley. I was very suprised. I really don't know what to say. I am sorry dude.

kyle

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
That is a bummer -- I would have sent it straight back to Apple immediately, not messed with any 3rd party's.

Would have demanded a replacement rather than a repair...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Your problem is not unique. Neither is it unique to Apple. You should have sent your machine back to Apple ASAP. What you don't want is to have it in your own custody long enough that your problem can be reasonably assumed to have been caused by you. Apple offered you the option of initiating DOA procedures which would have taken three weeks. You refused that option, choosing instead to take matters into your own hands--literally. Two months later, you still don't have a working computer. You gambled and lost--big time.

I assume that you are a young man. Hopefully, this series of incidents will serve as an education for you. The lesson is this: when you make a purchase, don't accept the product until you are certain that it is in good working order. You received delivery of a PowerMac G5. Unpacking it is not the same as accepting it as your own. Whether it is a computer, automobile, house, TV set, home appliance, or whatever--if it doesn't work, get it back into the hands of the vendor ASAP.

I am truly sorry to hear that your computer doesn't work. I hope that it is fixed or replaced soon.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
OMG- they wouldn't just give you a new computer at the store? My friend bought an iMac G5 had a few small problems with the AP, talked to Apple Care for a couple hours, and after a few days after the purchase got a new iMac G5.

I would try to get something good out of them. 2x 256mb sticks of ram? How much is that worth like $150. I got $150 speakers for complaining about how my iPods keep crapping out. You spent what at least $4000 US on your PM G5.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
wow

that really really sucks.

I feel bad for you I hope you get this resolved. maybe you can convince them to give you a new machine.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
yikes. i always fear that something like that will happen to me. sucks after looking forward to the arrival for so long. i bought an imac via the apple refurb store once and it never came since they sold more than they had. i was not very pleased with apple to say the least. apple is just another company, though. simply because they have a cult following doesn't mean that they are perfect.

seelab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
EJBasile said:
OMG- they wouldn't just give you a new computer at the store? My friend bought an iMac G5 had a few small problems with the AP, talked to Apple Care for a couple hours, and after a few days after the purchase got a new iMac G5.

Hi,
no, they couldn't give me a new computer at the store because i purchased the G5 online on the Apple Store.
I had the option to send it back to Apple but it didn't seem quick and easy.
Today, of course i can only regret i didn't pick that option. But who knows, maybe the carrier would have lost my G5 on his way back to Apple...

seelab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
IDANNY said:
that really really sucks.

I feel bad for you I hope you get this resolved. maybe you can convince them to give you a new machine.

No, it's too late. When there has been reparations made by technicians in a store, the computer can not qualify for a replacement procedure like a DOA.

seelab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
MisterMe said:
Your problem is not unique. Neither is it unique to Apple. You should have sent your machine back to Apple ASAP. What you don't want is to have it in your own custody long enough that your problem can be reasonably assumed to have been caused by you. Apple offered you the option of initiating DOA procedures which would have taken three weeks. You refused that option, choosing instead to take matters into your own hands--literally. Two months later, you still don't have a working computer. You gambled and lost--big time.
Hi,
I gambled ? No, i didn't. I chose the better option at this time.
How could i know the technician would do a bad job at the store.
It took days and lots of phone calls before Applecare technicians talked about the DOA replacement option. The first solutions they gave me to this problem was "go to the nearest store". So, I did that.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
g5

you know what f**k apple threaten to take them to court and do so 2 months and a dead computer ? what the f**k i would be boiling !!!!!

tried doing that to me over my ibook which i just sent back and got a refund , no messing sue for phone bills etc

any court would side with you on this , although apple are trying they still have not sorted it !

its ok trying but that justs goes so far results are much better !!!!!!!

good luck

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
OMG, that is horrible. I'm wondering if I should buy from this company now, they ship via DHL, and if you had problems like that, well... I dunno. I'm so sorry. I hope that your mac days fair out better. If anything, I'd just go down and buy a brand new card at CompUSA or something (its the only Mac selling store in Utah that I've found (ok thats a lie but still)). I hope you get your GFX Card soon.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
For my DOA they shipped the replacement G5 as soon as I supplied them with a tracking number for the one I sent back.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
There is obviously something very wrong with that computer. If i were you I would be about to rip someones head off. I would rename this thread to "Powermac from Hell"

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
seelab said:
Hi,
I gambled ? No, i didn't. I chose the better option at this time.
How could i know the technician would do a bad job at the store.
It took days and lots of phone calls before Applecare technicians talked about the DOA replacement option. The first solutions they gave me to this problem was "go to the nearest store". So, I did that.
Admit it or not, you gambled. You lost. Learn from this experience. My guess is that at 7,481 CAD, your G5 is the most expensive thing that you ever bought. You have to treat your money like its your money. You expect other people to take care of you. Well, as difficult as this is for you to conceive, most people cannot care less about you or your money. You see that jimsowden followed the DOA procedures and received satisfaction.

In closing let me tell you this: when you need help, you need to be nice to every one that you encounter along the way. Alternatively, you can talk with them in a manner that shows them you know the game. However, this won't work if you don't actually know the game. In and of itself, it was not a mistake for you to take your computer to the Apple dealer. However, you cannot walk in showing the attitude you showed in your first two posts in this thread. My experience is that if you deal with service people as an adult, you will get excellent service. If you don't, well you are still waiting for a working computer.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Karma- It's what's for dinner

I am truly sorry to hear your story.

I am with you with the decisions you made... I had a similar condition when i got my G5, loud fans, no start up. I did as you did, and called applecare, and brought it to a local service center. Fortunately for me, I had my working G5 back in my hands within two weeks.

I have always been a huge supporter of apple. I think overall, their morals and goals are reasonable and good natured. Unfortunately, this is one of those cases that slips through....an applecare technician having a bad day and unwilling to help, a DHL driver hungover and unwilling to go the little extra, and a bunch of various employees who frankly don't give a crap. In your case, you have plenty of reason to hate Apple, you local service center, DHL, Purolator, and anybody else involved.

What's important is that you remember it was not the will of any one person to cause all this trouble. We've all had our off days, the day where a little careless action may have contributed to somebody else's 2 months of hell.

I applaud you for not talking any serious $h!t about apple in your post. Or anyone, for that matter. I think you handled it well.

" if we sow goodness, we will reap goodness; if we sow evil, we will reap evil"​

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
Very sad story and shame on Apple .. maybe you should take this up with the fair business commission or something like that ..

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
it's time you started legal proceedings. try consumer protection organisations in your area (better business/fair trading?).

as for the drivel below.......
wakey wakey hand off snakey.

MisterMe said:
Admit it or not, you gambled. You lost. Learn from this experience. My guess is that at 7,481 CAD, your G5 is the most expensive thing that you ever bought. You have to treat your money like its your money. You expect other people to take care of you. Well, as difficult as this is for you to conceive, most people cannot care less about you or your money. You see that jimsowden followed the DOA procedures and received satisfaction.

In closing let me tell you this: when you need help, you need to be nice to every one that you encounter along the way. Alternatively, you can talk with them in a manner that shows them you know the game. However, this won't work if you don't actually know the game. In and of itself, it was not a mistake for you to take your computer to the Apple dealer. However, you cannot walk in showing the attitude you showed in your first two posts in this thread. My experience is that if you deal with service people as an adult, you will get excellent service. If you don't, well you are still waiting for a working computer.

pdp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2004
misterme, im afraid nothing you say is correct. your arguement is he gambled away his chance at getting the repairs that were needed.

i quote " they offered 2 solutions: "Take your G5 to the nearest Apple dealer" or "we can start a Dead On Arrival procedure"

these are TWO solutions that the APPLE representative offered. IN NO WAY ARE YOU GAMBLING by choosing one or the other. gambling by definition is playing a game of chance. the poster is not playing a game, nor is he taking chances. he is following through with one of the options available to him.

you say "In closing let me tell you this: when you need help, you need to be nice to every one that you encounter along the way. Alternatively, you can talk with them in a manner that shows them you know the game. However, this won't work if you don't actually know the game. In and of itself, it was not a mistake for you to take your computer to the Apple dealer. However, you cannot walk in showing the attitude you showed in your first two posts in this thread. My experience is that if you deal with service people as an adult, you will get excellent service. If you don't, well you are still waiting for a working computer."

give me a break. you make yourself sound like one of them 50 year olds that think they know everything there is to know about life. there is no need for niceties as long as you have your facts straight and documentation to support your case. you can not and will not be disregarded due to your mannerisms given you do not make any direct or implied threats. if you are, it's time for a civil suit.

the rest of the junk that you typed out is more suited for impressionable kids who want to be all they can be
:rolleyes:

as for the poster, get the ball rolling once again. instead of waiting, start making reasonable demands. they have your money and you have nothing. do not let the carelessness of others be an excuse for the outcomes you've received so far.

best of luck

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Damn that sucks. I can't argue with anything you did, honestly.

Now, I would do this:
Call Apple. Show them your log (in a text file not on this web forum) what has happened. Say that you are really at your wit's end. You need this computer, and have gone through hell to get it. Ask to talk to a few managers, so that you get someone decently high up. Also tell em that the value of your computer has gone down, seeing as it is 2 months old. Don't scream at anyone, because then they will just get annoyed. But MAKE SURE THEY KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, and that you have done everything they wanted.

Don't threaten to sue. It won't work, you will just spend a lot of $$$ on lawyers, and Apple will say "We did everything right, and so did he" so you might as well just show Apple what's going on.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Mechcozmo said:

Now, I would do this:
Call Apple. Show them your log (in a text file not on this web forum) what has happened. Say that you are really at your wit's end. You need this computer, and have gone through hell to get it. Ask to talk to a few managers, so that you get someone decently high up. Also tell em that the value of your computer has gone down, seeing as it is 2 months old. Don't scream at anyone, because then they will just get annoyed. But MAKE SURE THEY KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, and that you have done everything they wanted.

Don't threaten to sue. It won't work, you will just spend a lot of $$$ on lawyers, and Apple will say "We did everything right, and so did he" so you might as well just show Apple what's going on.

That's good advice. I'd follow this and especially make sure to speak to someone else than the regular customer relation person but rather someone higer up.
Anyway, I wish you good luck and may 2005 be of more luck to you Apple-wise than 2004.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Mechcozmo said:

Now, I would do this:

Good advise but I would add one thing. Dispute the charge on your credit card. Call them and explain your problems but you MUST also write them.

Advise Apple that you have disputed the charge and will not pay for the merchandise until they rectify the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.