Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
I know the Boxee box is coming out but I really dislike boxee and can't get most of it's feature here in the UK anyway. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other home theatre boxes that have media scraping? Like xbmc or plex?

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
I know the Boxee box is coming out but I really dislike boxee and can't get most of it's feature here in the UK anyway. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other home theatre boxes that have media scraping? Like xbmc or plex?

well I just went back to boxee after the apple tv 2. Too much hassle with converting, scraping, etc. What is it that you don't like about boxee, the interface is great and it just scanned my 600g library in about 2 hours and downloaded every cover and description for my movies and tv shows without any hassles. It's hard to find a decent alternative.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
The main thing with boxee I don't like is it scraper lol. I have all of my library named correctly for scraping but it doesn't find all of it, and some of it it does wrong. But when this happens it doesn't let you change it to the right thing like xbmc does. Your just stuck with whatever boxee wants to call it is what I've found. If this was resolved and I could manually change the ones it got wrong I'd give it another go.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Boxee does let you fix content that is scraped wrong, I haven't got it in front of me right now so bear with me. I think you select a movie that is wrong and then on the pop-up where you press play to start it there is a button at the bottom right that allows you to search and scrape it again.

edit:- Yep, it's called the Wrong Video button.
Capture.PNG
Which then bring up a search page.
Capture1.PNG

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for the info, I may be wrong then. Unless I'm thinking of tv show names or something.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
While I know it is not exactly the same, just curious why you would consider atv2? You no longer have to sync it with iTunes, so as long as you add your media to iTunes it will be available on the atv2 (rough equivalent of scraping), and I find it to be very reliable, I add a movie and it pops up.

I know you probably don't want to run iTunes, but you have to format/tag your media and put it somewhere, why not iTunes? If you use iTunes to organize your media then you are done scraping.

If it is more about features then fair enough, atv2 is more limited.

Peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.