Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
the new apple tv is a nibby little box of tricks but the prices of movie rentals on itunes in the uk means i only rent infrequently. 3.49 for sd and 4.49 for hd is too much!

i use lovefilm rentals mainly. a one off subscription works much better. i don' t often get my first choice but it is a lot cheaper.

apple needs to sort out some sort of subscription service to make this work.

any rumours to that effect?

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
And if netflix doesn't come to the apple tv in the uk maybe LoveFilm will. They have just made a deal with Sony for ps3 streaming. Maybe apple next?

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
No way im paying almost a fiver some something that isn't even full HD. Ruins the impulse rent option for me. If it was 2.50 for SD and 3.50 for 720p then i might get one.

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
the new apple tv is a nibby little box of tricks but the prices of movie rentals on itunes in the uk means i only rent infrequently. 3.49 for sd and 4.49 for hd is too much!

i use lovefilm rentals mainly. a one off subscription works much better. i don' t often get my first choice but it is a lot cheaper.

apple needs to sort out some sort of subscription service to make this work.

any rumours to that effect?

Open a US iTunes account: I live at an address of Walmart Miami & buy $ Vouchers from eBay=newer films cheaper.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
I, too, was pretty shocked at the rental prices. But the UI in nice for browsing movies that you can then rent elsewhere.

I'll probably rent one sooner or later, though. There's some good Anime at the £3ish mark.

When/if Lovefilm or Netflix come to the AppleTV here, I'll be all over it like a rash. My problem with Lovefilm when I used to subscribe to it was that the DVDs I fancied watching were never the ones to turn up, and we never seemed to get 'round to watching them either.

And when we did, they wouldn't damned well play!

Rent & rip works okay... If I'm paying a subscription I should be able to watch anything in their catalogue, irrespective of whether or not they can post or steam it to me.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
The Apple Site says you can rent movies in HD for £2.49?
ipod_appletv_20100901.jpg

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
That's an epic lie. We should sue!

Although, movies which are a total sack of *****, or have been out for years, perhaps.

Love Happens is a ****** film which is dated 2009 on IMDB, and doesn't even turn up in the search results on the AppleTV. So that image is pure ********.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I know, I posted a thread about it, apparently I was wrong and Apple can do no wrong ;) I sent feedback, got ignored. It's the same image as the US site, so yes, pathetic. And seen as it's splayed across the front page of their site, it attracts the sight of thousands of people a day. False Advertising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.