Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
It's funny because when Netflix was released in Canada, we got those features right off the bat. However, I still think the interface for Netflix is nicer and easier to navigate with AppleTV.

I do like how the PS3 version knows which episode you left off on and how many minutes are remaining though, that's one feature I do miss.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
As for the 5.1, I certainly hope so.

As for the 1080i...just because it has more digits doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. ;)

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Yep, AppleTV was my go to for Netflix but not anymore.

5.1 without a dongle disc? plus 1080i?
PS3 is going to get a lot more of my attention.

But I am sure the inevitable "only about 5%" of their catalog will be in 5.1.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
As for the 5.1, I certainly hope so.

As for the 1080i...just because it has more digits doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. ;)

All research proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that 1080 is a larger number than 720. :D

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
All research proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that 1080 is a larger number than 720. :D

On the research I've done it clearly says that 720P actually looks better than 1080i especially if your display has native P. I guess it's in the eyes of the viewer.:confused:

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
On the research I've done it clearly says that 720P actually looks better than 1080i especially if your display has native P. I guess it's in the eyes of the viewer.:confused:

I agree with you. It was sarcasm.

1080 is a larger number than 720 so marketers use that fact to their advantage.

There is no denying that mathematically 1080 is the larger number. Other than that it proves nothing.;)

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI

1080i is interlaced, therefore each line is drawn twice, go look up what interlaced is for televisions. The real number of separate data lines for 1080i is 1080/2=540. So a signal of 1080i has 540 lines of data drawn twice, each line is drawn from top to bottom of the screen, once at the bottom the image is redrawn from top to bottom again. In essence the image is displayed twice on a 1080i screen.

1080i < 720p < 1080p

Actual display lines of resolution.

540 < 720 < 1080

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I have three ways to steam content to my main TV - Apple TV, PS3, and DirecTV H23-700.

I am not married to any of them and really don't care if I switch back and forth between ATV and PS3 for Netflix.

The 5.1 is exciting news. However, I doubt many movies will have it available on Oct. 18. But when they are available I will use my PS3 for those movies.

Hopefully PS3 will improve their interface. Currently it is very poor. ATV interface is far superior to PS3 in almost every way. My only complaint is that it doesn't remember the last TV episode you watched from a series.

Competition is good and if you own more than one device it is GREAT!

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
1080i is interlaced, therefore each line is drawn twice, go look up what interlaced is for televisions. The real number of separate data lines for 1080i is 1080/2=540. So a signal of 1080i has 540 lines of data drawn twice, each line is drawn from top to bottom of the screen, once at the bottom the image is redrawn from top to bottom again. In essence the image is displayed twice on a 1080i screen.

1080i < 720p < 1080p

Actual display lines of resolution.

540 < 720 < 1080

Remember it was sarcasm.

However, your statement isn't quite true.

Interlace is a holdover from analog days. It was the only way the original analog standard had any decent resolution. It works and really does deliver 1080 resolution. It just takes two scans to do it.

Is 1080i really better than 720p? It depends on content. Broadcasters that show more sports prefer 720p. Broadcasters that show more film based content prefer 1080i.

Myself, when encoded properly, I am very happy with 720p. However, as usual, the real answer is far more complicated than 1080i<720p<1080p.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well that is a strange platform to start with--well speaking as a non-gamer. But still, I do hope it comes to some non-game platform soon as I'm sure that will influence my decision of what to buy greatly. I really want the DD 5.1 sound and without it, I'll stick to Blu Ray and DVDs for most movies. So I hope it comes sooner rather than later--to something. 1080p vs 720p is nice but not the deal-maker DD is.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have three ways to steam content to my main TV - Apple TV, PS3, and DirecTV H23-700.

I am not married to any of them and really don't care if I switch back and forth between ATV and PS3 for Netflix.

The 5.1 is exciting news. However, I doubt many movies will have it available on Oct. 18. But when they are available I will use my PS3 for those movies.

Hopefully PS3 will improve their interface. Currently it is very poor. ATV interface is far superior to PS3 in almost every way. My only complaint is that it doesn't remember the last TV episode you watched from a series.

I have the original :apple:TV and didn't realize the tv episode problem on the new model. I watch so may older tv shows from my childhood that this missing feature would be a deal breaker for me. My LG BluRay player lacks other nice Netflix features but at least it has this, and it works great. Thanks, you just kept me from buying the new version!

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010

They actually revamped the entire ps3 interface and it looks a lot better than before. You can see the video in the link above. I am hoping that the apple tv gets the new features since I just bought 2 of them.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
They actually revamped the entire ps3 interface and it looks a lot better than before. You can see the video in the link above. I am hoping that the apple tv gets the new features since I just bought 2 of them.

I just finished watching the video you linked. Clearly the revamped interface is a big improvement over the disc based system.

If it is as good as it looks I will be doing the following.

Main TV
PS3 for Blu-Ray Discs and Netflix.
ATV2 for my ripped iTunes content, YouTube, most movie rentals, my photos, and music.
DirecTV for live and for movie rentals not on ATV.

Bedroom TV
No PS3 so ATV2 for Netflix and a Sony Blu-Ray player for discs.
Everything else the same as main TV.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well glad to see they've finally announced this for the U.S.! We've had this since day one of launch in Canada on the PS3 (as a previous poster mentioned) and everyone thought I was nuts over the last few weeks trying to explain to them that yes, I really am getting DD5.1 on some Netflix movies on my PS3.

It was apparent pretty quickly however that I wasn't getting the same support from my new ATV2 for Netflix. I called Apple who didn't have a clue what I was talking about either and they kicked it up to Engineering. I guess now that it's official they'll have to do an update to the Netflix app and hopefully they add the "HD" logo info and the "5.1" logo info to the movie information same as the PS3 version.

Overall I'm very happy with the Apple implementation but for now I'm using my PS3 to get the 5.1 support but I'd prefer to use the Apple version if possible as it's just a snappier interface and uses a lot less power than my PS3. The ATV2 also works with wireless "N" compared to "G" on the PS3 but far as I can tell it doesn't seem to make any difference on the streaming. So far so good with either platform in that regard. Cheers!

James

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The PlayStation Blog has updated their post. The PS3 will support 1080p not 1080i Netflix streaming movies if available.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
The PlayStation Blog has updated their post. The PS3 will support 1080p not 1080i Netflix streaming movies if available.

It is also confirmed 1080p at http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...1-surround-disc-less-netflix-your-move-ms.ars

This makes far more sense in terms of specmanship. 1080i would be ripped apart in every AV forum on the web.

I still stand by the concept that most people can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 720p in a double blind test.

HOWEVER,

In the marketing world there is a real difference in perception. And since perception is what counts, 1080i made no sense at all.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This does make PS3 a bit more tempting to buy as a bluray player, but I still won't get one till the price goes down a bit more. Like in the $200 range.

Right now the only thing that would be different is 1080p for me as I don't have a sound system.

I still like Apple TV's interface better. I don't know why Netflix likes to use that drab gray color for the background of the Wii and PS3 versions...

Also I can search using the keyboard of my iPhone.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The new PS3 interface along with not having to use a disc anymore appears to be a whole lot better than the current implementation. I'll try it out Monday but I have a feeling I won't be sticking with it over the ATV 2G because they still haven't resolved the search and text input problem. The iPhone handles this wonderfully on the ATV. Sony actually has an iPhone app for controlling their Blu Ray players but the strange thing is the app doesn't support the PS3. I don't know what their thinking was with that.

If a movie has 5.1 surround sound I am definitely gonna want to use my PS3 though. But then how would I know unless I used the PS3 to do my navigating and searching? Aargh! Apple definitely needs to add 5.1 to remain the top Netflix player. Adding low bitrate 1080p means nothing to me at all. I doubt Netflix is going to be pushing out over 10mbps and even if they did, my internet connection wouldn't be able to handle it reliably. There's nothing worse than watching a good movie and it pauses to buffer in the middle of it or you visibly see the quality degrade.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I'll try it out Monday but I have a feeling I won't be sticking with it over the ATV 2G because they still haven't resolved the search and text input problem. The iPhone handles this wonderfully on the ATV. Sony actually has an iPhone app for controlling their Blu Ray players but the strange thing is the app doesn't support the PS3.

You can connect Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard to the PS3.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
You can connect Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard to the PS3.

That is how I recycled an old Apple Bluetooth Keyboard when I got my "new" 24" iMac with wireless keyboard two years ago.

It works like a charm with the PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.