Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1
crypticlineage
macrumors regular

Excel delete function question

In Excel for office 08, the delete key will not clear contents of the selected cells, only of the first one. Everytime I need to right click and select clear contents.

Also, if I wanted to delete the selected cells and move the bottom cells up, I would have to use the right click and choose delete option.

Why doesn't the delete key work like it's supposed to?

Last edited by dejo; Oct 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Thread moved. Mention of inappropriate thread removed.
crypticlineage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticlineage View Post
In Excel for office 08, the delete key will not clear contents of the selected cells, only of the first one. Everytime I need to right click and select clear contents.

Also, if I wanted to delete the selected cells and move the bottom cells up, I would have to use the right click and choose delete option.

It's working as designed. The delete key alone isn't supposed to clear contents from a range of cells or delete a cell.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Because it's more of a Backspace than a Delete. Try Fn + Delete. I don't know it that actually works in Excel, but in most cases, Fn+Delete is the traditional "Delete"
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:38 PM   #4
crypticlineage
macrumors regular

so am I supposed to right click everytime? What if I have to go through 5000 cells? Clearly there must be a way to set this option? At the very least fn+delete or some such combination should do it, no?

Thanks for moving my thread to the right place.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch0 View Post
Because it's more of a Backspace than a Delete. Try Fn + Delete. I don't know it that actually works in Excel, but in most cases, Fn+Delete is the traditional "Delete"
Fn+Delete does clear contents of a cell or range of cells, but won't delete a cell.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
crypticlineage
macrumors regular

Yes, the fn+delete deletes a range of cells.

However, my other problem remains, being able to shift cells up, down or left right when I delete. I wonder if there is another key combination for that.

Thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
so am I supposed to right click everytime? What if I have to go through 5000 cells? Clearly there must be a way to set this option? At the very least fn+delete or some such combination should do it, no?

Thanks for moving my thread to the right place.
Searching Excel help for "keyboard"... The first hit is "Create a custom Keyboard shortcut". Tools/Customize Keyboard should help you set up a key combination for the Edit/Delete function.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:54 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Yes, the fn+delete deletes a range of cells.
No, it clears the contents, but doesn't delete the cells.
Quote:
However, my other problem remains, being able to shift cells up, down or left right when I delete.
That's because fn+delete doesn't delete the cells. It only clears the contents, leaving the cells still there, but empty.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:56 PM   #9
crypticlineage
macrumors regular

YES! YES! YES! Of course....

I set up Cmd+D as my delete key, and viola, it deletes the range of selected cells and moves bottom cells up. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Gregg2
macrumors 601

or you could use the menu
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store