Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hovismerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
right heres the story, im trying to view videos on online web pages for example youtube and its very jumpy as-well as web pages with animated adds.
ive tried EVERYTHING to make it work, so come to the final decision of upgrading my CPU to make it work better preferably to a duel core?
just need to know if im doing the right decision or not, if not could you possibly tell me what could fix this problem e.g video card if needed?
here are my stats if you need to know any more info please get back to me
( could you refer me to a CPU or anything needed which would prevent this problem for the future )
1GHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache
2GB ram

please please please help
many thanks
hovis :apple:

hovismerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
ive just brought this mac tho thats the trouble, is there any way at all which will just help youtube run faster?

The OP has a Power Mac G4 for anyone interested.

I doubt upgrading the CPU to 1.42 GHz (the maximum CPU "size" the G4 DP had to offer) will help your Flash performance. You need at least a G5 to view toady's YouTube in HD.

It might be easier and cheaper to just get one of the older Intel Mac minis.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
ive just brought this mac tho thats the trouble, is there any way at all which will just help youtube run faster?

As I like to quote myself quite often:

YouTube and Vimeo offer HTML 5 betas, maybe have a go with that.

If you use Safari as browser, you can also take a look at ClickToFlash to disable Flash content.

Have you tried the suggestions there?

What about selling the machine again, as it clearly is not cut out for modern day YouTube?

hovismerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
im not sure how to excess that 'click to flash'

As I like to quote myself quite often:

Have you tried the suggestions there?

What about selling the machine again, as it clearly is not cut out for modern day YouTube?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
clicktoflash dosent seem to be loading videos in quicktime it comes up with the option to click flash put how do you get the option for quicktime?

29p87xw.png

and

ClickToFlash menu:
in certain applications, ClickToFlash will activate a menu item in the application's menu. For example, Safari has a ClickToFlash menu located at [Safari --> ClickToFlash], near the "Preferences..." menu item. This gives access to ClickToFlash's settings window and a few other features. Make sure to visit a page that has Flash on it to get this menu.

2q9g9r8.png

hovismerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
this is what happens tho if i click on the 'Youtube' it comes up playing flash any ideas? do i need to activate quicktime or something?
33688_2577710081155_1206469008_101029117_2944797_n.jpg

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It normally takes a while.

Go to any YouTube video (or several) and wait until the page is fully loaded. After a while (ten seconds maybe), the YouTube sign in the middle of the video should change to an H264 sign, if that has happened, click on the video.

It should look like this:

Untitled-9.png

But I can't reproduce that behaviour right now, maybe ClickToFlash and the Safari version I have (5.0.1) don't work together.

Have you tried the HTML5 beta yet?

hovismerks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
yeah tried HMTL5 and it works! but its limited on some videos which is kind of annoying, is there a way to download the old versions of safari which defiantly work with 'clicktoflash' do you know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.