Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
New to the whole jailbroken/iOS updates and I first rant the Limera1n jailbreak thinking that the update would be applied with the jailbreak. Nothing happened and I figured that I first need to update my device.

So I head over to iTunes, download the latest iOS update for my iPhone 4 and it got stuck about half way through. It had a progress bar that did not move for 3+ hours. So i just disconnected it and now it shows the iTunes logo with the plug in. After I attache the cable that stays on the iPhone and iTunes just says "Updating iPhone software" and has a progress bar that is nearly complete but has not moved in a very long time.

How can I get the update to take?

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Mine had the same issue, the only thing you can do is restore it. You'll have to hold the sleep and home button for about 12 seconds, then release only the sleep button. Make sure it's connected to iTunes and it'll pop up a message telling you there's an iPhone connected in DFU mode. You can then restore it.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Mine had the same issue, the only thing you can do is restore it. You'll have to hold the sleep and home button for about 12 seconds, then release only the sleep button. Make sure it's connected to iTunes and it'll pop up a message telling you there's an iPhone connected in DFU mode. You can then restore it.

Well when I force quit iTunes and then unplugged and replugged it said the iPhone attached needed to be restored. The progress bar on iTunes is like 98% done and its tuck on the same 55-60% progress bar on the iPhone. Roughly the same position it was in (on itunes & the phone) when it hung up in the first place.

How long should this restore take, are there any other actions that can be done?

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
By the way I am trying to do the restore and update method. Perhaps its restoring fine but getting stuck on the update?

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
That won't help, make sure the phone is in DFU mode. When you unplugged it the first time during the restore you prevented the phone from doing it correctly. Make sure it goes you put it in DFU mode and select restore when iTunes prompts you. You will lose everything, but the update should only take about 5 - 10 minutes with this method (since your phone is being wiped).

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
That won't help, make sure the phone is in DFU mode. When you unplugged it the first time during the restore you prevented the phone from doing it correctly. Make sure it goes you put it in DFU mode and select restore when iTunes prompts you. You will lose everything, but the update should only take about 5 - 10 minutes with this method (since your phone is being wiped).

I am following those directions and it's still stuck...

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
I had the same issue this evening. I simply killed the update and iTunes and plugged my iPhone into another Mac. No need for DFU. When iTunes on the other Mac detected the phone it stated that a restore was necessary. I pulled down 4.1 and did the update without a further hitch.

Then you do the LimeRa1n or Greenpois0n jailbreak.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I tried to restore from my wifes mac but I got a 1004 error. Did some searching and found out that I needed to kick it out of restore mode. Did that with recBoot and it booted right up into 4.1... very odd

Now just doing a restore to get my apps and etc. back on. Thanks for the help!

Cap41

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Here is whats happening. You have used Tiny Umbrella at some point. TU writes to your host file on your computer. So now when you restore the file looks to cydia instead of apple. There is a guide on iclaried that gives step by step advice on how to edit your host file. basically either comment out #. or delete any line that makes reference to gs.apple.com. XXX.XXX.XXX. you will now be able to restore via Itunes. THis has happened to many people here.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
So I head over to iTunes, download the latest iOS update for my iPhone 4 and it got stuck about half way through. It had a progress bar that did not move for 3+ hours. So i just disconnected it and now it shows the iTunes logo with the plug in. After I attache the cable that stays on the iPhone and iTunes just says "Updating iPhone software" and has a progress bar that is nearly complete but has not moved in a very long time.

How can I get the update to take?

Do you have WiFi Sync installed by chance? I had a similar issue a while back. I uninstalled WiFi Sync and it went through with no problems on 2 phones afterward.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
No ideas what Tiny Umbrella is, pretty sure I never used it. I do have wi-fi sync setup however, maybe that is what caused the issue. Got me pretty scared for a while there (new to this). But I have everything setup find now.

Not sure if I want to go through this for each incremental upgrade but I needed that proximity sensor fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.