Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I just wanted to know if its worth jailbreaking it. I mean, does Cydia have enough apps that the App Store don't to justify it????

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
I don't think it is really an issue of whether there are enough apps on cydia to justify the jailbreak but whether the available applications on iTunes can satisfy your needs sufficiently or not.

Jailbreak only if you know what you are doing and accept the risk involved in it and also that there apps in cydia which you must have which is not found on itunes.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
it's worth jailbreaking if you want to do something that you can't do with apps on the iTunes store. If you can already do everything you want with it then it's not worth jailbreaking it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Cydia does have some apps, but most of the things in it are system tweaks -- things like password protecting individual apps, changing app icons, assigning buttons and gestures to certain functions, change the way you get notified of push messages, etc, etc.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I just wanted to know if its worth jailbreaking it. I mean, does Cydia have enough apps that the App Store don't to justify it????

It's free and takes like a minute to do. What do you mean "worth it"? Worth what? You get extra functionality for $0 and a minute of effort.

Yes, it's worth it.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Yes it is. It depends on your personal preferences though. I use mine for gpsphone, scrobbler (Last.FM), YouTube downloads, Mark All in mail (so I don't have to look at every new mail), iFile & SSH (so I can explore my device), and to enable native HDR.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The only thing you have to sacrifice is the time it would take to undo the jailbreak if you don't like it. It's not permanent and it can be undone...just restore to factory settings using iTunes, and resync/restore from backup.

So what have you got to lose?

-- Nathan

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Would you be able to use Skype on a Jailbroken iPod Touch ? I know there is a warning that it would not work the first time I start Skype.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

I jailbreaked mine and restored it to original again after some days. iPod touch has only 256mb ram while iPhone has 512mb. Cydia AppS and installous use a lot of memory RAM and i noticed The défice slower than usual and sometimes AppS would Quit randomly but thats not The main problem. The performance is worse only bu a bit so it's not a big deal for most users for the tradeoff of the cost of using cracked apps. I also like to update without having to worry about anything. This is my opinio on jailbreak

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
^same
i jailbroke mine this morning and restored it this evening. It started freezing up and moving slow. this is the 3rd ipod that started messing up after jailbreaking.....don't do it, it really not worth it.My 2nd gen started having tons of problems after jailbreaking (apps crashing,ipod shutting off randomly,slow lagg,volume going up randomly, music pausing,ect), thank god it was still under warranty.

kuctonkucton201

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
^same
i jailbroke mine this morning and restored it this evening. It started freezing up and moving slow. this is the 3rd ipod that started messing up after jailbreaking.....don't do it, it really not worth it.My 2nd gen started having tons of problems after jailbreaking (apps crashing,ipod shutting off randomly,slow lagg,volume going up randomly, music pausing,ect), thank god it was still under warranty.

under warranty? that's great.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
It is great. Screw apple for trying to limit what you can do with a device you paid for.

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
I have jailbroken my iPod, my sisters and about 2 dozen other kids at schools ipod.(made a boat load of cash with the $10 jailbreaking fee;)) I ended with the same result every time, they would usually install installous and a theme then they deleted cydia using ifile since it slowed down their device. I just got the ipod touch 4 and I will not jailbreak it since the apps that are coming out will need all the resources they can get. Once Saurik figures out a way to make the api for everything or whatever run smoother and with less power then I might jailbreak.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have jailbroken my iPod, my sisters and about 2 dozen other kids at schools ipod.(made a boat load of cash with the $10 jailbreaking fee;)) I ended with the same result every time, they would usually install installous and a theme then they deleted cydia using ifile since it slowed down their device. I just got the ipod touch 4 and I will not jailbreak it since the apps that are coming out will need all the resources they can get. Once Saurik figures out a way to make the api for everything or whatever run smoother and with less power then I might jailbreak.

Sure, Cydia itself is slow, but it slows down the device overall? I don't see how -- it's not like it runs in the background or otherwise takes up system resources while it's not running. Personally, I've never noticed any slowdowns on my jailbroken iDevices. A bit faster battery loss, yes, but system slowdown, no.

MrPenguinPerson

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Yes, but be careful...

It depends. Often jailbreaking can damage your iPod, which can be very annoying. Also, :apple: absolutely HATE jailbreaking, they want to make jailbreaking illegal (but they couldn't) so don't expect them to fix any problems for you. Jailbreaking can lead to all sorts of joy, but they can lead also to painstaking misery and loss of £200. There are advantages and disadvantages to it. Do it if you're a risk taker.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
It depends. Often jailbreaking can damage your iPod, which can be very annoying. Also, :apple: absolutely HATE jailbreaking, they want to make jailbreaking illegal (but they couldn't) so don't expect them to fix any problems for you. Jailbreaking can lead to all sorts of joy, but they can lead also to painstaking misery and loss of £200. There are advantages and disadvantages to it. Do it if you're a risk taker.

You hate something that you've never tried before.. interesting. And no, it can't damage your iPod Touch. I've jailbroken and unjailbroken my iPod/iPhone over 30 times. Testing hundreds of tweaks. No such problems. Stop making up garbage to scare people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.