Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:00 AM   #1
iMarcusx
macrumors member

Apple TV 2 Audio out of both cables?

I have my apple tv hooked up to hdmi and optical. I am trying to make video come out of the hdmi but no sound. The optical is hooked up to my sound system. The apple tv is sending sound to both inputs so XD.
iMarcusx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't you just turn off the internal sound on the tv? It's what I've done whilst sound comes out of my amp.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
iMarcusx
macrumors member

Yeah I could do that, but I was wondering if there was a setting for it. Something built into the apple tv.
iMarcusx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Batt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarcusx View Post
Yeah I could do that, but I was wondering if there was a setting for it. Something built into the apple tv.
The first time I used my ATV I turned the sound on my television to zero. I haven't had to touch it since. When I play something on the ATV, the TV sound is automatically set to zero. I don't know how it remembers - and I frankly don't care. It just works.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt View Post
The first time I used my ATV I turned the sound on my television to zero. I haven't had to touch it since. When I play something on the ATV, the TV sound is automatically set to zero. I don't know how it remembers - and I frankly don't care. It just works.
A lot of HDTVs have a “disable/mute sound” for different sources option in their menu.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Batt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
A lot of HDTVs have a “disable/mute sound” for different sources option in their menu.
Yes, but that's not what I did. I just tuned the sound down with the volume control.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7
PurdueGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt View Post
Yes, but that's not what I did. I just tuned the sound down with the volume control.
The TV remembers where the setting for each input is. That's quite common. The same way many TVs will remember different color settings for each input independently.
PurdueGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater