Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphadog111

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Is there any way too install a Mac OS with out a bootable flash drive or dvd disk? I have one macbook with 10.4 tiger installed and another one with 10.5.8 leopard. I want too install the Mac OS leopard into the Mac OS tiger...is there a way too do that if I connect the two macbooks together with some sort of cable? I remember someone saying on here that this is one alternative way of installing a OS on another macbook if you do not have a dvd or bootable flash drive....If you can what cable is needed so I can buy it and what are the steps too do this. thanks!

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
Firewire cable can do the job. Hook your two macs together with firewire and start the Tiger mac by holding the "t" button and start in Firewire Target Mode. Now use Carbon Copy Cloner (free download) on your leopard mac and clone your Leopard HD to the Tiger HD. Now restart and you have leopard on the Tiger macbook.

alphadog111

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Firewire cable can do the job. Hook your two macs together with firewire and start the Tiger mac by holding the "t" button and start in Firewire Target Mode. Now use Carbon Copy Cloner (free download) on your leopard mac and clone your Leopard HD to the Tiger HD. Now restart and you have leopard on the Tiger macbook.

how do you clone the leopard hd to the tiger hd? mind giving me the steps? thanks

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
1. Boot Tiger MacBook in Target Disk Mode - Hold down "t" after the startup chime.

2. Connect it to your Leopard Mac via FireWire.

3. Start up Carbon Copy Cloner (download this if you don't have it already)

4. Tell it to clone the drive of the Leopard Mac to the Tiger Mac.

5. Once it's done, eject the "Tiger" Mac and boot it up.

Note that this clones your original Mac... so all your programs, settings, etc will also be on the one you cloned it to. I'd recommend creating a new user and deleting the old one to get closer to a "new" install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.