Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:40 PM   #1
mac2x
macrumors 65816

Linux IDE?

I am playing around with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 in VirtualBox with OS 10.6.4 as host (so far I really like it; I may install Ubuntu on an old PC I have), and since I code a lot I'd like to install some kind of developer tools. However, I don't know what the choices are in the Linux world. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

[edit] the GNU compilers are already installed; I mainly want something that offers syntax-aware text editing like Xcode.

Gaming Rig | Core i7-2600K | 16 GB RAM | 160 GB OCZ Agility 2 | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Windows 7 Pro x64 | ASUS VG248QE
mac2x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Kaliemon
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Kaliemon
QT Creator is a nice choice. So far its my favorite besides XCode.
Kaliemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:09 AM   #3
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

Under Linux I have used KDevelop, Netbeans, and Eclipse.

Kdevelop has always been fast, but has always lacked a nice CVS/Diff integration. It has some integration, it's just not very well done - at least last I tried it. They have a new version out now though.

I used eclipse for a while - great bells and whistles, but at the time I was using it the code assistance feature was so slow it was unbearable. I hear this has gotten better since I gave up on it.

After getting fed up with eclipse's slowness, I tried netbeans with it's C++ integration. It's speed was much better and the interface seemed more intuitive to me.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

Netbeans and Eclipse have always been too slow imo. KDevelop is good and so is Code::block.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
(marc)
macrumors 6502a

If you just want a text-editor with some advance features like syntax-highlighting, you can try vim. It's available on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, and it's highly appreciated by programmers.
(marc) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:14 AM   #6
vocaro
macrumors regular

If you're running Linux in virtualization with OS X as the host, why do you even need a Linux IDE? Just use your favorite OS X IDE and save the files to your Linux drive.
vocaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:13 AM   #7
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Oh I'm so glad this question wasn't asked on a linux board or blood would have been flying already :P

I personally use Netbeans when I use linux. I use Netbeans on Mac too for C++ projects for class since I have to end up building them in Visual Studio. I like Netbeans....they came a LONG way.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:51 AM   #8
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaro View Post
If you're running Linux in virtualization with OS X as the host, why do you even need a Linux IDE? Just use your favorite OS X IDE and save the files to your Linux drive.
For my environment, I have linux running in VMWare and I run the OSX version of netbeans. Netbeans has a nice remote build so I can build right from netbeans running under OSX, it ssh's to the linux VM, builds, then sends the build output back to NB so I can then click on the errors just as if I were building locally.

I think eclipse offers this ability also.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:27 AM   #9
MorphingDragon
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2x View Post
I am playing around with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 in VirtualBox with OS 10.6.4 as host (so far I really like it; I may install Ubuntu on an old PC I have), and since I code a lot I'd like to install some kind of developer tools. However, I don't know what the choices are in the Linux world. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

[edit] the GNU compilers are already installed; I mainly want something that offers syntax-aware text editing like Xcode.
I know this is an oooold thread, but Fedora/CentOS/OpenSUSE are considered more of the developer distros than Ubuntu. Fedora even comes with a whole lot of options for installing particular developer tool chains.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:58 AM   #10
mac2x
macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards NetBeans because I already have it on the Mac side of things, and I have a new OpenSolaris VM. It actually runs better than Ubuntu in the VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
I know this is an oooold thread, but Fedora/CentOS/OpenSUSE are considered more of the developer distros than Ubuntu. Fedora even comes with a whole lot of options for installing particular developer tool chains.
Hmmm, maybe I might try those at a later date.

Gaming Rig | Core i7-2600K | 16 GB RAM | 160 GB OCZ Agility 2 | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Windows 7 Pro x64 | ASUS VG248QE
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2x View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards NetBeans because I already have it on the Mac side of things, and I have a new OpenSolaris VM. It actually runs better than Ubuntu in the VM.
OpenSolaris is a dead project now that Oracle have bought Sun Microsystems. Move to something different. FreeBSD is a good choice (it is the most Mac like open source operating system available).
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:06 PM   #12
mac2x
macrumors 65816

I know, but it runs good.

Can you get FreeBSD with a GUI? I have it in another VM, but it is command line only. The job of getting GNOME (and getting it to work) is not appealing to say the least.

[edit] I can't seem to get NetBeans to finish downloading in OpenSolaris, so I will indeed be wanting to move to something else.

Last edited by mac2x; Oct 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:59 PM   #13
mac2x
macrumors 65816

I bit the bullet and I'm configuring xorg and all that now.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming