Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Hermes Monster
macrumors 6502a
 
Hermes Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Has anyone used these guys (http://www.softbuy-download.net/)

I was looking for somewhere to buy Photoshop as cheap as possible, and these guys seem ridiculously cheap.

http://www.softbuy-download.net/

Too good to be true? Probably has anyone ever downloaded from them?
__________________
to find out why some links dont work, click here
Hermes Monster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:26 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
It's always a good idea to check the domain info:
Domain: softbuy-download.net
Status: Active

DNS:
aa.linkedns.net
bb.linkedns.net

Created: 2010-10-04 23:32:50
Expires: 2011-10-04 23:32:50
Last Modified: 2010-10-04 11:32:50

Registrant Contact:
Olga Veresova
Olga Veresova (vlad@free-id.ru)
ul.Komsomola d.13 kv.26
Sankt-Peterburg, Sankt-Peterburg, RU 195009
P: +7.8123274547 F: +7.8123274547
Can you say SCAM?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3
mrkramer
macrumors 601
 
mrkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd guess that if you bought from them you would get an actual download but it would be a cracked version, which if you want that there is no point in paying for it in the first place.
__________________
"Jesus was the first socialist, the first to seek a better life for mankind." -Mikhail Gorbachev
mrkramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:43 AM   #4
lbro
macrumors 6502a
 
lbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It's always a good idea to check the domain info:
Domain: softbuy-download.net
Status: Active

DNS:
aa.linkedns.net
bb.linkedns.net

Created: 2010-10-04 23:32:50
Expires: 2011-10-04 23:32:50
Last Modified: 2010-10-04 11:32:50

Registrant Contact:
Olga Veresova
Olga Veresova (vlad@free-id.ru)
ul.Komsomola d.13 kv.26
Sankt-Peterburg, Sankt-Peterburg, RU 195009
P: +7.8123274547 F: +7.8123274547
Can you say SCAM?
Where can you get all that information?
__________________
It's lbro not ibro
lbro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbro View Post
Where can you get all that information?
There are many places to get domain info. I go to www.GoDaddy.com
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 2.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	255967 Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 3.PNG
Views:	118
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	255968

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?do...rog_id=godaddy
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:50 AM   #6
lbro
macrumors 6502a
 
lbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
GoDaddy.com
Thanks, it'll come in handy.
__________________
It's lbro not ibro
lbro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:20 AM   #7
Hermes Monster
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Hermes Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkramer View Post
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd guess that if you bought from them you would get an actual download but it would be a cracked version, which if you want that there is no point in paying for it in the first place.
My thoughts too really, blinded by the price! I can't help but think that if adobe and the like would get many more sales if they sold their software at these sorts of prices - but that's another argument for another day
__________________
to find out why some links dont work, click here
Hermes Monster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
If you are a student, that's the pretty much the only to buy Photoshop cheap.

Otherwise, you can scour for a cheap used copy of a previous version of Photoshop and just buy an upgrade. All you need to a copy of Photoshop CS2 or newer.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9
robo456
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkramer View Post
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd guess that if you bought from them you would get an actual download but it would be a cracked version, which if you want that there is no point in paying for it in the first place.
Hit the nail on the head kramer... just for kicks I read their "terms and conditions page"... check this out:

Quote:
2.5 Software cannot be registered on-line due to certain limitations;
2.6 You will not be able to receive any printed license confirmation;
2.7 You will not receive any CD/DVD, we neither sell CD`s nor ship them;
2.8 Some software includes ISO files (iso - CD image ) . You need to burn this type of files on CD/DVD and start a setup from a CD. You will get all directions for burning CDs/DVDs;
Sounds like cracked software to me!

--rob
robo456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:30 AM   #10
Emrani
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I recently bought Windows 7 from these guys to install in bootcamp. The copies of Windows they sell are OEM versions (see this article http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-...sing/1514?pg=2). However, I don't know whether they are System builder OEM versions or the ones that are only supposed to be used by major PC manufacturers.

The software installed perfectly and was already activated with Microsoft when it had finished installing (that is I didn't have to manually enter a serial number at any stage). I later checked the software with Microsoft's validation tool and it came up as genuine.

I was charged the correct amount on my credit card, so don't feel as though I was scammed.

However, there are many dodgy things about this company, which I wasn't aware of until after I ordered the software. Firstly, as has been noted, although the website claims to be based in the US, the company doesn't seem to be American. The transaction has appeared on my credit card statement as coming from Latvia. The emails I received immediately after paying for the software were in very poor English. The serial number that appeared next to my download information bore no resemblance to the OEM serial number (Product ID) in the installed system.

It's possible that the product ID is being mass-used in breach of MS licensing agreements and if so, I guess at some point my copy of Windows may fail the validation test, but for the moment I'll assume it's OK.
Emrani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:58 AM   #11
Phil A.
macrumors 68040
 
Phil A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Telford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrani View Post
I recently bought Windows 7 from these guys to install in bootcamp. The copies of Windows they sell are OEM versions (see this article http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-...sing/1514?pg=2). However, I don't know whether they are System builder OEM versions or the ones that are only supposed to be used by major PC manufacturers.

The software installed perfectly and was already activated with Microsoft when it had finished installing (that is I didn't have to manually enter a serial number at any stage). I later checked the software with Microsoft's validation tool and it came up as genuine.

I was charged the correct amount on my credit card, so don't feel as though I was scammed.

However, there are many dodgy things about this company, which I wasn't aware of until after I ordered the software. Firstly, as has been noted, although the website claims to be based in the US, the company doesn't seem to be American. The transaction has appeared on my credit card statement as coming from Latvia. The emails I received immediately after paying for the software were in very poor English. The serial number that appeared next to my download information bore no resemblance to the OEM serial number (Product ID) in the installed system.

It's possible that the product ID is being mass-used in breach of MS licensing agreements and if so, I guess at some point my copy of Windows may fail the validation test, but for the moment I'll assume it's OK.
I'd also keep a very close eye on your credit card statement in the near future: These guys are clearly selling software illegally so possibly wouldn't have any qualms over "creative" use of credit card info they get during the course of the dodgy business...

By the way, the building they show so proudly on their website is actually Fidelity Investments...
__________________
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure. ~Murphy's Law
Phil A. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:05 AM   #12
weckart
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrani View Post

I was charged the correct amount on my credit card, so don't feel as though I was scammed.
Depends upon what you received for the amount charged on your card as to whether you were scammed or not. For OEM installs to work without inserting a serial number, the validation for activation should normally be embedded in the bios. This is how Dell usually does things. It also often requires a specific OEM build of Windows to install properly, hence recovery media and partitions.

From the looks of things, you seem to have got a volume licence install. You have basically paid for not having to torrent this from the usual pirate trackers.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Kenndac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
You have basically paid for not having to torrent this from the usual pirate trackers.
This.

Getting software from that site is as legal as downloading it from BitTorrent - I'm certain that the original software publishers won't see a penny of the money you paid.
Kenndac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:36 AM   #14
pbz3180
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Send a message via AIM to pbz3180 Send a message via Yahoo to pbz3180
Hermes - did you end up buying from them and if so, any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes Monster View Post
I was looking for somewhere to buy Photoshop as cheap as possible, and these guys seem ridiculously cheap.

http://www.softbuy-download.net/

Too good to be true? Probably has anyone ever downloaded from them?
pbz3180 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Mal
macrumors 603
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz3180 View Post
Hermes - did you end up buying from them and if so, any problems?
Don't even think about it. There's nothing remotely legitimate about that site.

jW
__________________
The Bearded Nerd
13" MacBook Pro; 64GB iPod touch
"It's a real burn, being right so often."
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 01:59 PM   #16
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
they're gone anyway.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:09 AM   #17
petrolheads
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo456 View Post
Hit the nail on the head kramer... just for kicks I read their "terms and conditions page"... check this out:



Sounds like cracked software to me!

--rob
I placed an order off this site http://shopsoftwares.net/ and had no immediate email confirmation of receipt. It suggested a reply within 24 hours once they'd had my debit card details for payment (no mention of that on the website) and then in their Policy Page it suggested activation links etc within the hour. One hour later nothing so I got worried, found and joined this forum to comment on.

I immediately found she was in Latvia via this forum and thought oh dear a bit risky with my debit card details (the golden rule here which I didn't do was see if the site had an address on....NO!)
I have called my bank and cancelled the debit card so nothing can be taken out. Better to be safe than sorry. There is a reason why things are cheap! In my view it's way too risky.
petrolheads is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:12 PM   #18
niftyLRT
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
another one

along these same lines I was given a website with the URL jet-customer.com and the site seems to be called Soft Store. I bought and downloaded the Adobe Master Suite for a very cheap price. When I couldn't figure out how to get back to my download page that had the installation instructions I tried to find a phone number and couldn't which definitely sparked suspicion but they had a help desk so I emailed them. The response was to tell me that my order had been canceled and I should be refunded the money. 1. Weird because I had already downloaded the product 2. I checked my account immediately assuming i'd been scammed and they had never charged me for the initial purpose or refunded me, no money has been taken out of my account 3. I tried to google search them and research them and couldn't find anything, no scam warnings or anything the actual website didn't even appear in a google search!
I'm just super confused and was wondering if anyone had heard of them or what to do....if these people were trying to scam me they definitely didn't do a very good job of it!
niftyLRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:28 PM   #19
rebevin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Thanks you all, I wanted to buy software from one site, but I wasn't sure about it. You gave here useful informations, and now I know that site is maybe one of SoftBuy-sites family you referred to.

Domain of site is: appsroyalstore.com
(registered January 2014 by Kelly Lundgren, Sweden)

But I came there from Google with these .edu links: http://www.etcs.ipfw.edu/~fcc/2013/r...ne.php?id=1882
http://kmcemed.edu/index.php?impid=1083
http://constantina.safa.edu/index.php?show2045

When I was looking for "appsroyalstore" on google, I found nothing. But in the section "Policy" on that site was "By placing an order at SoftBuy" and so I found this thread on MacRumors.
Btw. in section "faq", there is not "SoftBuy", but "Software Store".

Because of these 3 different names, I was looking for some informations about that.
rebevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC