Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
This is so frustrating, why? Why do you have to run around getting additional cables for something that should be included in the first place?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Apple has learned from its experience with the adapters they included with the PowerBook and iBook, many were never used, and most probably they think, that many buyers of the Apple TV will either have those cables already or get them. It saves them material costs and often those cables, if they would be included, are just wasted, as it was with the adapters coming with those Books I mentioned earlier.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Apple has learned from its experience with the adapters they included with the PowerBook and iBook, many were never used, and most probably they think, that many buyers of the Apple TV will either have those cables already or get them. It saves them material costs and often those cables, if they would be included, are just wasted, as it was with the adapters coming with those Books I mentioned earlier.

Yeah yeah i know, i'm just actually a little frustrated now: I went to the Apple store to get this cable: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2219

I came home, opened the box and noticed there was NO Toslink adapter inside as stated there.

I called the Apple store to see if they have a box with one in it and that i'd be coming to exchange it, they said no problem, they have it in store.

I go back to the store and they tell me it's sold out. That was just 10min after i called them.

Ugh

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
becuse the price wold be 150$ and not 99$;)

they purposely made the cost as low as they could go to keep it under $100. it's a marketing move and it makes it more justifiable to purchase. i think it still sucks, they should have supplied the chord but I get it why they didn't.

ChargerSteve

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
EDH, California
Because not everyone needs new cables and not everyone who needs cables needs the same length. So, if they included them, it would just be a wasted expense for those that don't want or need them. The real problem is how much retailers want for these cables. You should be able to pop into Target and buy these for under $6, instead you need to order them online to get a decent price.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Add on sales. Cables are marked up for a great margin of
Profit.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I never use the cables that come with my toys anyway...

I've always ordered from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com

Interesting store!

I always use Amazon for this stuff. I compared the price I paid for my 3ft Belkin TOSlink cable and by the time you add on S&H at Monoprice, the Amazon price was a little cheaper, $5.58. Yes, I had to buy something else with it to get to the $25 order for free shipping but I always have something else I want to buy at Amazon.

I already had an extra hdmi cable so having one in the box and charging me for it would have stunk. Plus, if they provided 3ft ones I would have had to buy longer ones anyway.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
becuse the price wold be 150$ and not 99$;)

It may not have taken it to $150, but it definitely would have taken the price up. I for one already had an HDMI cable and Optical audio cable, and so I would have been pissed if I had to spend an extra $40-50 unnecessarily.

If I had needed an HDMI cable, I certainly wouldn't buy one from Apple or Best Buy or any of the other stores. I can get the same cable for $2.99 from monoprice, so it's a non-issue.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Why don't printers come with usb cables? Why didn't my g4 imac come with a mini vga adapter? Cables and adapters have the highest markup of any electronic or a/v item on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.