Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Hi all, new ATV2 owner, started to convert some DVD's using Handbrake.

Can anyone advise how to get the file size down? The original video_ts folder is 6 gb in size. Once Handbrake has done its job, the resulting movie file is 11gb! I could understand it being the same, or even slightly less, but not nearly double!

I am using the straight Apple TV preset.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland

Can anyone advise how to get the file size down? The original video_ts folder is 6 gb in size. Once Handbrake has done its job, the resulting movie file is 11gb! I could understand it being the same, or even slightly less, but not nearly double!

Something is definitely wrong, the resulting file should be typically around 2GB although it does depend on the type of movie to some extent. I'm guessing you have some unusual settings.

Update your presets by going to the menu Presets then Update Built-in Presets. You should also check for updates to the program itself by clicking in the menu Handbrake then Check for updates...

Once you've done that try reselecting the Apple TV preset and encode the movie again. Don't touch any of the settings, especially to do with "Quality" or "Bit rate" as these can have a big effect even for an apparently small change.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any more help.

Cheers,
Craig.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

Don't use quality == 100%.

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Cheers, I'll try those suggestions. If I get no joy, I'll post a screen of my settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.