Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I ran verify disk, and was told I need to repair disk... I try to boot from my OSX snow leopard disk buy holding down C at reboot, but I get nothing... I hear it go to the disk, but then I just hear clicking and noise from dVD. I can boot normal, but I can't boot from safe mode or DVD? What can I do?

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I get a picture of a hard drive and disk if I hold down option... the snow leopard disk I used is an upgrade disk I purchased from best buy. The only thing I seem to be able to do is start up normal.. Is there anything I can run from here that can repair the disk files? I'm not good at terminal:)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Sounds like a CD or CD drive problem if it can't boot. Did you try from the option-boot screen (when you held down option, you just click on the disk or use the arrow keys to select it, then click the arrow below it)? If it won't boot, see if you can try the disk in another computer or borrow another disk to try.

jW

rxl125

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
what about safe mode? I would I not be able to boot from there?
Sounds like a CD or CD drive problem if it can't boot. Did you try from the option-boot screen (when you held down option, you just click on the disk or use the arrow keys to select it, then click the arrow below it)? If it won't boot, see if you can try the disk in another computer or borrow another disk to try.

jW

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Are you using a wireless keyboard, and did your Mac come with 10.6 pre-installed? If you are using a wireless keyboard, make sure you wait to hold the startup key AFTER you hear the POST chime. Depending on the manufacturing or release date of your Mac, you may not be able to boot from that upgrade disc as you call it. You would then need the gray-labeled discs the computer shipped with.

If you can't find the appropriate disc to run Repair Disk, you can try booting to single-user (Cmd+s) then type fsck -fy at the prompt. After it finishes, type reboot to restart the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.