Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Did I miss a discussion about this?

After 6 weeks of good photos, I have a black spot in my Camera app and photos. I cleaned the lens until it is spotless. If I look at the lens with an 8x lupe, I can see some minor dust under the glass, but I’m assuming it has been there since the beginning. I’m not OCD about dust.

The spot is about 1/4 inch in diameter on the screen, darker in the center and fading on the edges.
The spot is only visible in Camera. It’s not a screen issue.
The spot is visible in still photo.
The spot is visible with video, but the spot appears bigger.
Not happening in the front-facing camera, so it appears to be in the rear lens.
It happens with and without flash. Inside and outside. Bright light and low light.

iPhone 4 ios 4.1 (not JB)
Bumper
No screen protector

I really don’t want to restore and reinstall everything from new unless it is necessary. Do you think this is software or hardware?

Holy crap, how do I make this photo smaller?

IMG_0041.jpg

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Sure, I can take it back. I was just asking if it is a known software issue first. I have a looming deadline on a project and really don't want any other distractions at the moment.

If I spend the time to restore and it is a known hardware issue, I don't want to waste my time doing that either.

Unfortunately, I have had to replace several iPhones - each one for a different valid reason. Fortunately, the Apple Care Tier 2 people have promised me a new (new in box with charger and cables) one if I have one more problem.

This iPhone has been flawless so far and if it is a simple fix, I would rather just restore, if that is all it takes. Is it something that 4.2 will fix? I'll wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.