Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnguyen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Anyone have any leads on a stainless steel replacement backplate for the iPhone 4? I have found a few links to vendors on eBay and web sites that carry replacement backplates, but none of them seem to say if it's steel or aluminum.

I specifically want stainless steel, and specifically a replacement backplate, not a stick-on skin for the current backing. I would like to find this because I have a few of those camera lenses that use magnets on the ends to attach to the case. Usually you use adhesive to place a metal ring on the case to receive the lens, but if the backplate were magnetic metal in itself, that would be much more convenient.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
Anyone have any leads on a stainless steel replacement backplate for the iPhone 4? I have found a few links to vendors on eBay and web sites that carry replacement backplates, but none of them seem to say if it's steel or aluminum.

I specifically want stainless steel, and specifically a replacement backplate, not a stick-on skin for the current backing. I would like to find this because I have a few of those camera lenses that use magnets on the ends to attach to the case. Usually you use adhesive to place a metal ring on the case to receive the lens, but if the backplate were magnetic metal in itself, that would be much more convenient.

This was up on gizmodo today - not entirely sure what kind of metal it is, however...

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-beveled-back-cover-blacksilver-metal-insert-p-10351.html

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
I know where you can get a s/steel back skin, check out: http://www.iamleaf.com - it's super thin and removable also.

FYI, true s/steel is not magnetic, if it is then it's not stainless and will interfere with the compass, I think the eBay listing you see are all aluminum. Same with the CNN linked site, aluminum brushed finish.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
FYI, true s/steel is not magnetic, if it is then it's not stainless and will interfere with the compass, I think the eBay listing you see are all aluminum. Same with the CNN linked site, aluminum brushed finish.

I'm no metallurgist, but that's incorrect. It just so happens that the most common type of stainless steel (austenitic) is non-magnetic, but there are various types of "true" stainless steels that are magnetic.

candoal

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Anybody try one of these yet from the CNN site??? Pics???

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-beve...t-p-10351.html

I donno man, if you study the images closely you'll realise the "bevel" part actually add at least 2-3mm to the back panel (because it's all plastic with a thin aluminum "skin"), have you wondered why there are no photos of the panel on an actual iPhone? Because it'll look like a turtle :D

Don't know about you, I bought an iPhone 4 so it's not thicker than a 3GS, beveled or not, I like iamleaf.com designs much better

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I donno man, if you study the images closely you'll realise the "bevel" part actually add at least 2-3mm to the back panel (because it's all plastic with a thin aluminum "skin"), have you wondered why there are no photos of the panel on an actual iPhone? Because it'll look like a turtle :D

Don't know about you, I bought an iPhone 4 so it's not thicker than a 3GS, beveled or not, I like iamleaf.com designs much better

It looks great on the iPhone what are you talking about?
http://www.gadgetmac.com/news/2010/10/19/change-your-iphone-4s-glass-back-with-metal.html

candoal

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010

emachine87

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Has anyone in this thread actually ordered one of these metal iPhone 4 backs? I'm being cautious this time around bc I bought a similar product but it eneded up being just a sticker. I'm really liking this back case so if anyone has one plz leave your comments regarding quality and overall look. Thank You

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Has anyone in this thread actually ordered one of these metal iPhone 4 backs? I'm being cautious this time around bc I bought a similar product but it eneded up being just a sticker. I'm really liking this back case so if anyone has one plz leave your comments regarding quality and overall look. Thank You

Yes I did and it should be here in a few days. I asked the seller what type of metal is it, and he said it's aluminum.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
in for the review. I like this back plate and want it but I need to know if it
blocks signals etc and also if theirs a protective glass over the camera lens and flash.

Edit: on cnn.com it mentions that the back plate comes with the camera and flash lens all ready in place, cool.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
One has to be nuts to place a metal back on the iPhone. Even Apple didn't do that on the 1st gen iphone; the antenna was under the black plastic portion of the phone...and that didn't even work that well.

I'd be interested on RF reports from people that have used the metal backs.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
One has to be nuts to place a metal back on the iPhone. Even Apple didn't do that on the 1st gen iphone; the antenna was under the black plastic portion of the phone...and that didn't even work that well.

Are you aware the metal band around the iPhone 4 IS the antenna? Or have you lived under a rock for the last 6 months of media blasting? The back will in no way affect signal.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Are you aware the metal band around the iPhone 4 IS the antenna? Or have you lived under a rock for the last 6 months of media blasting? The back will in no way affect signal.

Be serious. Of course I know that. Placing a metal plane behind the metal band of the antenna will have an influence on the iP4 antenna's isotropic radiation pattern that is not easily measured by bars or dBm's on the ip4. Even more so when your hand touches that metal plane.

I'd be seriously concerned and cautious. Apple chose the materials on the back of the iP4 to be RF transparent. Choosing a metal RF reflective plane affects the antenna's design in a way that Apple didn't design for.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

Uhm... Where were you when Antenna Gate Happened?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Uhm... Where were you when Antenna Gate Happened?

I was posting right here on MacRumors about my experiences with 'antennagate' on my iPhones and the effects of 'palming' non iPhones such as my Nokia 6230 for MacRumors (see my lead story Macrumors video here Nokia6230). Your hand produces a detuning, reflective and RF shadowing effect on the SS band any cell phone antenna. After that, Apple started posting there own videos on their web pages for other phones as well.

So far none of the posters here seems to have purchased one of these metal backs, or reported on any results. That is too bad, I'd be curious of the results. Cell phone antennas are affected when held to your head or with your hand because you are a 'bag of salty conductive water'. A metal plate is even more conductive than water. That is why I'd be concerned. It will effect the radiation pattern of the phone. It is hard to predict whether it will be serious or not. Certainly the metal cases that cover the IP4 SS band have been mostly a disaster from the postings I've seen on Macrumors too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.