Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1
misfiringsystem
macrumors newbie

Tracking iPhone with serial number

I went to the Apple store and they didn't give me a clear answer, so I just wondering if there's anyone with experience with this.

Can someone ask Apple to flag his/her iPhone's serial number in the event it is stolen, so if anyone tries to use it, or bring it in for warranty at Apple store, Apple would catch it?

On the other hand, what's stopping a seller from doing the same thing, sell the iPhone, and call Apple and tell them his/her iPhone's been stolen (effectively screwing the buyer over)?

*I'm looking in buying a used iPhone
misfiringsystem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
What is apple supposed to do if they flag your serial number?
Matthew Yohe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
PaHtSaN
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfiringsystem View Post
I went to the Apple store and they didn't give me a clear answer, so I just wondering if there's anyone with experience with this.

Can someone ask Apple to flag his/her iPhone's serial number in the event it is stolen, so if anyone tries to use it, or bring it in for warranty at Apple store, Apple would catch it?

On the other hand, what's stopping a seller from doing the same thing, sell the iPhone, and call Apple and tell them his/her iPhone's been stolen (effectively screwing the buyer over)?

And why would a seller do that?
PaHtSaN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:37 PM   #4
misfiringsystem
macrumors newbie

Matthew Yohe: I don't know what is Apple supposed to do, I'm wondering if Apple does that (like say, flags the serial number, and if they see it, they will notify the owner)

PaHtSaN: Get money from the buyer and get his/her iPhone back at the same time.
misfiringsystem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:16 PM   #5
crawsfire
macrumors member

Apple doesn't care but you can report your imei to your carrier as lost/stolen and they will blacklist it. In a perfect world that would require a police report, it's not a perfect world.
There isn't anything that would stop a thief (other than the phones capabilities) from just using a different carrier with the phone.
I have heard that if you get the imei blacklisted on one carrier it will, in time, migrate to all the other carriers. This seems highly unlikely to me.
crawsfire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:53 PM   #6
PaHtSaN
macrumors regular

Quote:
Matthew Yohe: I don't know what is Apple supposed to do, I'm wondering if Apple does that (like say, flags the serial number, and if they see it, they will notify the owner)

PaHtSaN: Get money from the buyer and get his/her iPhone back at the same time.
The maximum they could do is shut down the phone so its useless (if that, not sure), they aren't going to send a search and rescue team for your iPhone.
PaHtSaN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Neither will happen.
Apple does not do that and they dont care if your phone got lost or stolen. Thats your problem, they're not the police to "catch it".

Quote:

Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting