Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
While using Photoshop CS5 (extended) for long periods of time, I notice that my brush shape, circle or square brush shape, disappears and is replaced by the precise (crosshair) brush shape. This of course makes it challenging when trying to work inside small areas on the canvas where I need a reference point size depending on how big the brush is or small it is, and not just the precise size crosshair that doesn't change no matter how big my brush size goes.

This problem just started to happen a couple of weeks ago. I would find that I would have to save the file, quit the program, and then relaunch app and file before Photoshop would recognize the brush shape I was looking for. Now I have to almost shut down the application for almost an hour before it works properly again. I do not know if I need more memory or if this is a bug. The thing is the application does this even if it is the only thing running, besides Finder in the Activity Monitor. I just don't understand how the application runs fine for about an hour then just all of sudden I will go from say the eyedropper tool to the brush tool and get a crosshair instead of the brush shape that is selected. I can't believe that 4GB of RAM is not enough to run Photoshop without losing functionality of basic tools, especially when Photoshop is the only application that is running.

Anyway if anybody could help I would appreciate it.

HARDWARE:

iMac 27inch i5 quad-core processor 2.66GHz (early 2010)
1 TB hard drive
4 GB RAM
ATI 4850 HD w/ 512MB RAM
(everything else standard)

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Can't offer a solution, but FWIW I have the same issue on PS CS5 Extended. Very occasionally happens; I can't pinpoint it to happening after a certain period of time. It does happen with other tools too, such as the eraser, that use the same cursor system.

My only workaround is currently to quit and relaunch. I don't have to wait before relaunching, though.

What I do find annoying is that this problem also existed in PS CS2 on my old G5, which I used before upgrading to CS5 on a new machine (which is a C2D with 4GB RAM and otherwise runs CS5 flawlessly).

saqqara

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Hi, I just found this via google while looking for another issue. Not sure if this is your problem, but when caps lock is on, the brush shape becomes a cross hair.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Hi, I just found this via google while looking for another issue. Not sure if this is your problem, but when caps lock is on, the brush shape becomes a cross hair.

You know, that may well be it. I admit that I've never checked to see whether the caps lock was on or off in all the times I've noticed this issue.

I'll be sure to check now though!

Many thanks for posting....and welcome to the forums.

KrystleParker

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks!

LOL I never thought about the caps button! that was definitely the problem with mine.I kept restarting my program too.Thank you for that because it will save me lots of time now knowing that lol :D

Newbie to Photo shop <3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.