Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I picked up a Cinema 27" last night. I hooked the power up to my 2010 17" MBP and noticed that parts of the back of the monitor got pretty warm. Almost hot even. I could touch it with my hand, but no question, it was pretty warm on parts of the back. Particularly to the left of the Apple logo if you are looking at the screen.

This was after the charged state was 100% and the laptop was just connected to the power cord from the monitor.

So, this morning, I went ahead and plugged the laptop up to it's normal power supply, not using the power from the monitor and, sure enough, the monitor is quite cool all over the back.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone think that it gets a little bit too warm when the laptop is hooked up to the monitor power supply?

Another reason for concern is that there is no ventilation anywhere on this monitor, save the grill on the bottom where the speakers are and heat rises, and it really has nowhere to go.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hmm...my 24" ACD seems pretty cool with the 17" MBP connected to it. The larger screen will consume more energy and so the power supply ought to get a bit warmer, so no surprises there. Still, I would think that the difference would be relatively minimal.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Hmm...my 24" ACD seems pretty cool with the 17" MBP connected to it. The larger screen will consume more energy and so the power supply ought to get a bit warmer, so no surprises there. Still, I would think that the difference would be relatively minimal.

Does the 24" charge the laptop though?

Specifically, it is connecting the monitor's mag safe to the laptop that seems to create this heat. Some is to be expected, sure, but it's a little more than I had hoped and there does not seem to be anywhere for it to vent. The demo monitor in the Apple Store was hooked up to a Mac Mini and so it did not exhibit this behavior.

When I am just using the monitor and it is not charging or powering my laptop, (when I use the laptop's power brick) the heat seems acceptable.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Anyone have a Cinema 27" and think it gets too warm when charging a laptop?

Specifically on the back to the left side of the Apple logo. It is hot to the touch and it even radiates some heat.

At least it gets hot enough to burn off that weird smell it had for a couple days when new.

It's a $1000 monitor. I sure would hate to have it have a short life due to heat.

Thanks.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
When I responded initially I was using the 24" ACD and I was using its power supply to charge my 17" MBP. I since then switched to a 27" ACD and I can simply say that there is no detectable heat that I'm noticing anywhere on the back of my ACD. My MBP is mostly docked but I feed it through the ACD. Do you notice the heat when the MBP's battery is charged? If so, you may want to get it checked.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
my 27" isn't hot with my 2009 mbp 13" plugged in, but the other day when the USB sound issues acted up on the monitor, my laptop was getting awful hot, like the monitor was sending too much power to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.