Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:32 AM   #1
CaNMaC
macrumors newbie

Burning PC-compatible CDs

Greetings for the New Year!

Down to business... As a recent switcher, I work between my 12" PB and a PC. Today I discovered that the CD I burned on the Mac was not receognized by the PC (this is the first time I'm transferring files this way). It's a multisession CD that I burned, which has .jpg and .pdf files. Is there something I have to do when I burn the CD to make sure it is PC compatible, or is this not a normal occurrence? Thanks very much for your help!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:54 AM   #2
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to dsharits Send a message via MSN to dsharits Send a message via Yahoo to dsharits Send a message via Skype™ to dsharits
I use Toast Titanium, because it has a choice to burn a Mac-Only CD or a Mac-PC CD. If you have access to Toast, I highly recommend it, because I find it much better than burning with the Finder.

Daniel
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
aricher
macrumors 68020

Ditto on the Toast tip - works every time for me - not sure even how to do a PC/Mac disk from the desktop as I use Toast every time.
aricher is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Norouzi
macrumors 6502

Disks made using the Finder are suposed to be hybrid disks that can be read by Macs or PC's. I've never had a problem reading the disks I burn from the Finder on a PC. I do prefer to use toast though as it does give me more options so I'd use it if it's available.
Norouzi is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:55 PM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNMaC
Greetings for the New Year!

Down to business... As a recent switcher, I work between my 12" PB and a PC. Today I discovered that the CD I burned on the Mac was not receognized by the PC (this is the first time I'm transferring files this way). It's a multisession CD that I burned, which has .jpg and .pdf files. Is there something I have to do when I burn the CD to make sure it is PC compatible, or is this not a normal occurrence? Thanks very much for your help!
Norouzi is correct. CDs burned using the Finder are cross-platform by default.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:07 PM   #6
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Multisession CDs burned in OS X default to HFS+ (not readable by PCs without software) - since ISO doesn't support multisession.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=160588

Try using a plain ol CD-R/RW and don't "leave the disc appendable."
jeremy.king is offline   0
Old Jan 5, 2005, 02:40 PM   #7
CaNMaC
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses. I tested a single session CD burned on the Mac in a PC and it was read correctly. So, the conclusion is, as some have mentioned, that single session CDs burned in OS X are compatible with PCs, but multisession CDs are not. Thanks, again.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:01 AM   #8
OSX Panther
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjr3
Multisession CDs burned in OS X default to HFS+ (not readable by PCs without software) - since ISO doesn't support multisession.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=160588

Try using a plain ol CD-R/RW and don't "leave the disc appendable."
MAN! Think if iTunes could do that!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion