Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1
BadWolf13
macrumors 6502

Does Obj-C Allow for Recursive Pointers?

In most programming languages I've worked with, you can't have an class that contains and instance of it's own class. Naturally, you'd get compiler errors. But as I'm reading through Obj-C literature, I'm wondering if the use of pointers makes it possible. For instance;

Code:
@interface myObject : NSObject {
	myObject *containedObject;
}
Or, if I did it using dynamic typing;

Code:
@interface myObject : NSObject {
	id containedObject;
}
Could I then have containedObject point to another object of the same class, or would this produce errors during runtime?
BadWolf13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:26 PM   #2
iSee
macrumors 68030

There's no problem with having an instance of a class point to an instance of the same class.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:48 PM   #3
lee1210
macrumors 68040

Being able to have an instance of the same type as the containing class is fairly normal/mundane. What languages disallow this? (I'm sure there are some, just don't know which ones) Without this pattern you wouldn't be able to do fairly ordinary things like build a linked list.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:59 PM   #4
iSee
macrumors 68030

What would have to be disallowed is where an instance of a class must contain an instance of that same class (directly or indirectly). That would create a situation where one instance of the class leads to an infinite chain of contained instances. A must contain an instance of A which must contain an instance of A which...

e.g., (C++)
Code:
class A
{
  A a;
};
With pointers/references, however, there is no contained instance, so no infinite chain. (Well, you could still attempt to create an infinite chain at runtime).
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
BadWolf13
macrumors 6502

Thank you iSee. C++ is my background. I was pretty sure I wasn't allowed to do that in that language.

Wait, does that mean my first example won't work? Or will it work because it's a pointer to another instance of it's own class, instead of a contained instance of it's class?

Last edited by dejo; Oct 19, 2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts. Please use multi-quote.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:59 PM   #6
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWolf13 View Post
Wait, does that mean my first example won't work? Or will it work because it's a pointer to another instance of it's own class, instead of a contained instance of it's class?
Your example is OK, because the pointer doesn't actually point to a concrete instance of myObject until you explicitly allocate it.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:13 PM   #7
BadWolf13
macrumors 6502

As The King used to say, "thank you very much."
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:50 PM   #8
SidBala
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thank you iSee. C++ is my background. I was pretty sure I wasn't allowed to do that in that language.
Having pointers pointing to the same class type or even the same instance as the class is allowed in C++. So your example will work.

Last edited by SidBala; Oct 19, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
SidBala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Note that the declaration
Code:
NSObject anObject;
will be rejected by the Objective-C compiler because you are not allowed to create a "statically allocated instance" of an object: you can only work with pointers to objects. Because of this, no object can ever physically contain another object, only a pointer to it. "Containing" an instance is an abstract behavior, as described in the section on Object Ownership and Disposal - you can think of an object as "contained" within another object if the containing object's -dealloc method releases it, and even then, the contained object could possibly be taken and retained by some other object. If the statically allocated declaration above were allowed as an ivar, a pointer to it could be passed using the form "&anObject", whereafter the containing object would have to continue to exist for that pointer to be valid. Prohibiting static allocation makes a lot of sense.

Consider that your object can have an ivar of type id, which can be any class of object.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:44 PM   #10
zeppenwolf
macrumors member

From _The C Programming Language_, K&R, Section 6.5, "Self-Referential Structures":

Quote:
Code:
struct tnode {
    char *word;
    int count;
    struct tnode *left;
    struct tnode *right;
    };
This recursive declaration of a node might look chancy, but it's correct. It is illegal for a structure to contain an instance of itself, but
Code:
    struct tnode *left;
declares left to be a pointer to a tnode, not a tnode itself.
See?
Please use continuous text rather t...
zeppenwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming