Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicMert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Hey I just recently installed a student verison of Windows 7 through boot camp but now it would seem that I am stuck on the windows 7 part I tryed using the "alt" key and nothing at all im getting alittle worried and without any sound it dosent help the situation what so ever if anyone could shed some light as to what I should do that would be awesome.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
You probably installed to the wrong partition. You must CAREFULLY identify the partition to install Windows into, or you WILL overwrite Mac OS X.

Use the recovery disks to restore your system.

MagicMert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
No I have found that if I hold the "alt" key during a load up I can get back into my Macintosh HD part but only if I restart the computer.

I still have the problem of the sound and not being able to get over without having to restart the computer every-time and my keyboard working as a Microsoft keyboard would.

Is there anyway I could get around this?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
You might have the wrong startup disk selected.

Go into System Preferences and type in "Startup" in the search panel in the top right of the window (sorry I'd be more specific but I'm not at my Mac). The Startup disk selector should be highlighted, click on that and then make sure the Mac HD is selected as the main startup disk.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
No I have found that if I hold the "alt" key during a load up I can get back into my Macintosh HD part but only if I restart the computer.

I still have the problem of the sound and not being able to get over without having to restart the computer every-time and my keyboard working as a Microsoft keyboard would.

Is there anyway I could get around this?

That's how boot camp works. You have to restart to switch between Mac and Windows. Have you put in your Snow Leopard disk while in windows to install all the drivers?

MagicMert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
That's how boot camp works. You have to restart to switch between Mac and Windows. Have you put in your Snow Leopard disk while in windows to install all the drivers?

Ah I did not know that I had to install the drivers from my Snow Leopard disk I will have to go home and get these and try it from there thank you very much for both your help it has been awesome.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I still think you could try booting into the Mac OS and checking out the default startup disk in system prefs. It'd be 5 minutes max to check and could save you an hour install. It may not fix the sound issue, but it will at least get you the right default OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.