Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1
sysiphus
macrumors 6502a

Wireless issue with Powermac G5

I've got an interesting issue:

My Powermac G5 (1.6GHz) has Airport Extreme and Bluetooth pre-installed. Both external antennae are plugged in. The computer connects to an Airport Extreme (ABGN) router roughly 50ft away, with full signal strength. Today, I swapped out my stock Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro pulled from a Dual 2GHz G5 (OEM 9800 Pro, not the retail model or the OEM 9800XT). Everything worked fine when booted with the "new" card, but the Wi-Fi. When installed, my wireless would show the network available, but time out every time I tried to connect. Swapping the original card back in fixed the problem ASAP. I'd like to be able to use the 9800--any ideas on how to fix this odd issue?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:48 PM   #2
raysfan81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysiphus View Post
I've got an interesting issue:

My Powermac G5 (1.6GHz) has Airport Extreme and Bluetooth pre-installed. Both external antennae are plugged in. The computer connects to an Airport Extreme (ABGN) router roughly 50ft away, with full signal strength. Today, I swapped out my stock Radeon 9600 Pro for a Radeon 9800 Pro pulled from a Dual 2GHz G5 (OEM 9800 Pro, not the retail model or the OEM 9800XT). Everything worked fine when booted with the "new" card, but the Wi-Fi. When installed, my wireless would show the network available, but time out every time I tried to connect. Swapping the original card back in fixed the problem ASAP. I'd like to be able to use the 9800--any ideas on how to fix this odd issue?
That is quite odd. So you haven't had any trouble with it prior to it not connecting?
raysfan81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:58 PM   #3
sysiphus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysfan81 View Post
That is quite odd. So you haven't had any trouble with it prior to it not connecting?
Yup. Interesting fact, though--I tried it again today, but also installed a PCI USB card--and no problems now. Weird stuff, but now it works, so I'm not going to mess with it

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs