Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Considering buying one of these and wondering how to go about encoding/backing up my movies.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I think you have to wait until apps are introduced to the device, and see if something like Plex is released, or see how AirPlay is actually implemented to stream from your computer.

Of course, you can go the jailbroken route and see what is available through that as well. That should be up and running soon from what I've read this morning.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Yes it can, just like the old one can. However there is a bug in the new ATV that when you go to select the different commentaries it just lists the language. So, for example, if i have a movie encoded from HandBrake with an AAC Stereo Track, AC3 Track and a Directors Commentary the new Apple TV lists them like this:
English
English
English

The old one would list them:
Stereo
Surround
Director's Commentary

The obvious bug in the new one is it is not picking up the descriptions of the tracks, but if you still select the track on the ATV2 it plays the commentary fine.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Yes it can, just like the old one can. However there is a bug in the new ATV that when you go to select the different commentaries it just lists the language. So, for example, if i have a movie encoded from HandBrake with an AAC Stereo Track, AC3 Track and a Directors Commentary the new Apple TV lists them like this:
English
English
English

The old one would list them:
Stereo
Surround
Director's Commentary

The obvious bug in the new one is it is not picking up the descriptions of the tracks, but if you still select the track on the ATV2 it plays the commentary fine.

Has this bug been fixed in the interim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.